cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Havok

mariom
Honored Guest
Hello!
How about Havok integration? It looks like a pretty cool engine, and I like a lot of the games that have been done with it. (e.g. Dead Rising). It also offers a free start for developing, although if your game earns more than $10,000 USD, then you have to start paying.

I would like to work with Oculus + Havok. Could that be possible in the near future?
10 REPLIES 10

cybereality
Grand Champion
Sure, it's possible. It's just not something that is officially supported at the moment.

However, you should be able to grab our C++ SDK and do the integration yourself if need be.

mariom
Honored Guest
So it wouldn't be necessary to get Havok to support it within their own code?
That sounds excellent. I will look into it.
Thanks.

cybereality
Grand Champion
If they make the source code for their engine available, then it would be possible. Sometimes even in closed source engines it's possible if they support plug-ins (i.e. DLLs). I don't know enough about this new Havok engine to be sure.

mariom
Honored Guest
It isn't new, it has been out for a few years, and has been used in a bunch of AAA games throughout them.

But I will see if it is possible, and report my findings 😉

cybereality
Grand Champion
Well the Havok physics engine is old and has been used in many games. But this would not really have much to do with the Rift. I thought you were talking about Havok's new 3D engine called Project Anarchy ( http://www.projectanarchy.com/about ).

kojack
MVP
MVP
Yep, Project Anarchy only came out a couple of days ago (the download link came out yesterday or the day before).
It's a mobile oriented game engine (you need to pay if you want pc, linux or mac support. Only android, iphone and tizen support is free).

There's also Havok Vision Engine (Havok bought out it's creators 2 years ago), it's a full game engine used in Settlers 7, Anno 2070 and some other games.

Dead Rising used the MT Framework, not Havok. Dead Rising 2 used a custom engine, but included Havok physics and animation.

Most people who hear the name havok will assume you are talking about their physics library, which isn't really related to the rift (the same as there's no real point to integrating bullet or physx with the rift).

MOnsDaR
Honored Guest
I guess the integration in the Havok Engine needs to be done by Havok itself? Would be good to know how their plans according to the Rift are.

Archy
Honored Guest
"MOnsDaR" wrote:
I guess the integration in the Havok Engine needs to be done by Havok itself? Would be good to know how their plans according to the Rift are.

You mean the Havok Vision Engine? No, it is implementable without changing the engine as I did in DARK. Since then they added a official Rift integration but I didn't look at it.

consultant
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
Well the Havok physics engine is old and has been used in many games. But this would not really have much to do with the Rift. I thought you were talking about Havok's new 3D engine called Project Anarchy ( http://www.seoanarchy.com/about ).

Hello!
How about Havok integration? It looks like a pretty cool engine, and I like a lot of the games that have been done with it. (e.g. Dead Rising). It also offers a free start for developing, although if your game earns more than $10,000 USD, then you have to start paying.

I would like to work with Oculus + Havok. Could that be possible in the near future?

Oculus + Havok :geek: