cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Laptop Support

storm2015
Honored Guest
Hi,

With the release of V0.7.0.0-beta run-time, some people have reported that laptops are no longer supported - is this true?

Since I updated my run time from V0.6.0.1-beta I have not been able to get any of my apps working with the DK2
15 REPLIES 15

kojack
MVP
MVP
Hopefully this is just another nvidia vr driver bug.

Constellation
Expert Protege
It's working fine on my Asus G751JY with a (non-Optimus) 980M.

Jeff

skavee
Explorer
After giving it a shot anyway. Using the notebook drivers 355.82 I had a message saying "hmd powered off, check hdmi connection" this was of course expecte, due to notebooks not being supported.

However creating a debug devices via the 0.7 runtime works and distortion an everything is applied correctly. This on a notebook.

So I'm wondering shouldn't the rendering and distorting of textures via shared memory on a notebook with optimus be what makes the DK2 not work on notebooks?

Sending the Image out to a HMD should be the easiest part...

Screenshot inc.

kojack
MVP
MVP
I've just been playing ETS2 on my laptop (980M) with runtime 0.7 and nvidia driver 355.84 and windows 8.1. Works fine.
I haven't tried windows 10 support on the laptop, I only have it on my desktop (which works fine too).

storm2015
Honored Guest
Thanks for the replies, my laptop is an Alienware with a Nvidia 970M card but I cannot get the Oculus working, it seems that this is a optimus card (I think) so the Oculus will not work. Am I able to disable the optimus to get this working?

"kojack" wrote:
I've just been playing ETS2 on my laptop (980M) with runtime 0.7 and nvidia driver 355.84 and windows 8.1. Works fine.
I haven't tried windows 10 support on the laptop, I only have it on my desktop (which works fine too).

Constellation
Expert Protege
It's rare to find a BIOS setting to disable Optimus because it requires a MUX to switch which GPU is connected.

kojack
MVP
MVP
One problem is that the HDMI port is going to be connected to the intel gpu and clamped to 60Hz. So even if you aren't rendering on the intel gpu, the nvidia gpu still has to pipe it's output through it.

Constellation
Expert Protege
If you have an onboard hardware MUX the NVIDIA GPU can be directly connected to the HDMI port and the Intel GPU can be completely disconnected/disabled. I've never owned a motherboard that's actually had one but I've read that they exist & that Optimus can be disabled via the BIOS.

radimoto
Explorer
Working fine on my Clevo P750ZM (non Optimus 980m)