cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Debug Tool can't connect to service / HMD

weasel47
Heroic Explorer
When I try to run the Oculus Debug Tool, I just get an error message that says:
Unable to connect to service, or an HMD isn't connected.

What am I doing wrong?  An HMD (CV1) is connected, and Home is running.
66 REPLIES 66

weasel47
Heroic Explorer

Hi,

Since you already have Home running, which is one requirement for the Debug Tool to function, can I advise that you update to the latest Oculus SDK for Windows? That usually solves this problem with the HMD not being detected.

Latest SDK is here: https://developer3.oculus.com/downloads/pc/1.11.0/Oculus_SDK_for_Windows/

Thanks, but that is already the version that I'm using.
I noticed that the Debug Tool wants to run as Admin, but Oculus Home is running under my non-Admin account.  Could that be a problem?  I don't have Windows Smartscreen turned on and I don't see any way to stop it from running as Admin.

weasel47
Heroic Explorer

Is there any way to run both as admin to see if that is causing the issue?

If that doesn't work I'll have to get back to you as this may be a new issue with the tool.

I switched user to Admin and ran the tool and it did open up that way.  It's not ideal, as I only use my Admin account for actual Admin tasks and I'd like to be able to use the tool with my regular account.  I wonder if there's any way to stop it from running as Admin?

Allegorie
Honored Guest
Hi,

The same problem for me, any solution please ?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the same problem as well. Please help us with it. I have Oculus home running and have the latest update.

adhocstevedore
Honored Guest
Was there any solution to this? Oculus home just updated and now neither debug tool 1.3.2 or 1.11.0 work. Running them as administrator doesn't work. Using a rift feels like such a hack sometimes. 

DannyTheElfman
Honored Guest
Same issue here. Ran both as Administrator as stated above still with no joy.

adhocstevedore
Honored Guest
I uninstalled the just updated oculus home and downloaded and reinstalled it, and the debug tool now works (1.3.2 & 1.11.0). Of course this is a bit of a pain because any apps etc. have to be downloaded again. Good thing steam is my goto service for such things. 

OMS
Honored Guest
Hi everyb. yesterday the tool work i play elite dangerous start my pc this morning and i get the same Error! Hope they fix that prob fast =(.
best regards Olli

Excuse me for my bad English

ParadigmAU
Honored Guest
Same problem for me. SDK version 1.12.0, Oculus app version 1.13.0.362051, Win 10 64bit.
I have tried running as Admin and turning off UAC. Neither worked.

I generally run the debug tool @ 2.000 for everything, so now everything looks like trash in the Rift without it. I have also tried SDK 1.5.0, 1.10.1, and 1.11.0 versions of the Debug tool but none of them work, all result in "Unable to connect to service, or an HMD isn't connected" message.

To be honest I don't know why the debug tool hasn't been integrated into the Oculus home settings yet. Its clearly clunky having to run and set the tool every time you use the Rift.