cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question: First person or mech game?

CaliberMengsk
Explorer
Let's explain a little further shall we? I want to make a rift game. I've made a few demos I guess you could say, and would like to further it into a full game. What I'd like to do is a typical first person shooter, kill the enemy to win type of thing. I'd like it to be scifi and I am definitely going to do it with the rift in mind, but I can't decide which would be better. A first person... person, wearing an exo suit (hovering and things of that sort will be included) or a mech like game (think hawken, as far as speed and such).

I should note that at the moment, I'm a single person that would be doing this, and the goal is to have a full and complete game in around 8 weeks (doing a local thing that's to help you get better at game dev and is an 8 week process). I'd like to have bare minimum 1 level, and at least two game modes (at the least, deathmatch/teamdeathmatch, and ctf). Beyond all that, I'd "like" to integrate my grappling hook like mechanic from the Attack on Titan thing I've been working on.

This will be a game that goes against the normal convention of the rift standards. It will be fast paced and have a lot of moment (possibly wall running and things of that sort), so it won't be for the person that's just started using vr systems. So I'd like a little input. I know that having a cockpit is better for people in the rift that have motion/simulator sickness issues, and this could be a way to solve that, but I don't think that the speed and agility I want to put in will really go with it. Any comments/suggestions?

EDIT: Oh, and if you are an art person and want to work on this, let me know. I'm not an art person. I can do ok, but I'd really rather code then do art. (I'm not fast at art either)
4 REPLIES 4

Scytharius
Honored Guest
tttttttttttttt

RoTru
Honored Guest
Probably just me but another fast moving mech game is exactly not what I'm interested in... Had enough of that with Hawken etc.

Really I've always felt the slow-moving mechs of Battletech/Mechwarrior are way more interesting. There's Mechwarrior Online but really I want a Mech RPG, tired of this quick action stuff, I want a Mech sim not another Mech deathmatch...

Regardless I'll probably still play your game because I'm a mech fanatic...

MrMonkeybat
Explorer
People tend to feel less motion sickness in cockpit based games where there character is sitting. So if you want to make it for the Rift and you could go either way Mechs are more suited to VR. A cockpit with faceted windows with lots of struts puts a static object in the players field of view, so there is less dissonance with how stationary they are feeling.

Fredrum
Expert Protege
A tip would be to test your locomotion mechanics on a bunch of people very early on before spending too much time in that direction. And make sure they give honest answers. As much as i love the idea of a 'Vanquish' style action shooter i know that i get motion sick very easily ( still after a year of dk1 ) and your description definitely sounds challenging in that respect.

Cheers
Fred