cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift Lens for canon 5 or 7d

Spacebar1739
Explorer
I was looking around but didn't see anything. Is there a thread about the possibility of creating a lens that would shoot 130 fov in stereo with built in distortion? I thought it would be interesting to be able to shoot a film.. like Imax only BETTER!!.
5 REPLIES 5

geekmaster
Protege
"Hi" wrote:
I was looking around but didn't see anything. Is there a thread about the possibility of creating a lens that would shoot 130 fov in stereo with built in distortion? I thought it would be interesting to be able to shoot a film.. like Imax only BETTER!!.

I use one of these on my Canon EOS-550D:
0.18X HD Wide Angle Fisheye Macro Lens for Canon 50D 5D 7D 60D 50D
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370793521212
Only $32.99 with free shipping! It should fit any Canon camera with a 58mm threaded lens, and it came with an adapter ring so it will also fit on a Nikon camera lens. Nice deal, if you do not mind inexpensive optics.

This fisheye lens works quite well if you adjust the camera zoom (and/or crop the center of the photo) to get the same FoV as used in the RiftDK. You can correct for chromatic aberration in software, but that is only at the extreme edges of the image, and not a problem when cropping the image to get the correct FoV for the RiftDK.

You can also get radial lens distortion that should be "Rift Compatible" by filming the image reflected off a mirror ball, if you zoom into it the correct amount (or crop your video in post processing). A mirror ball works just like a fisheye lens, but extends the outer image to 360-degrees instead of the 180-degree fisheye view. And you can get a mirror ball at a garden store (or steal one from your Christmas ornaments). No need to buy a fisheye lens for mirror ball "pre-warped" video. But you need to place your camera some distance from the mirror ball and zoom in (telephoto) to minimize the camera reflection off the mirror ball.
😄

kojack
MVP
MVP
From your link:
A wide-angle converter MORE THAN DOUBLES your angle of view, allowing you to get twice as much in the picture

Hmm, if I could attach one of these to the end of my Sunex 185 degree super fisheye lens... I could see everything in every direction, including inside of the camera I guess. 😄

Getting one of these:

(Loreo 3D Lens In A Cap)
and combining it with two of the fisheyes above (they have a 58mm filter thread adapter, each lens of the Loreo has a 58mm thread) would be rather interesting.

Unfortunately that lens in a cap doesn't work on full frame cameras like my 5dmarkiii. The one that does support full frame is lacking the filter threads, so couldn't have fisheyes attached. Otherwise I'd probably consider giving it a try.

Spacebar1739
Explorer
Nice!!. Thanks for the Quick repose. I would love to do some tests and work out the bugs. Then setting up a post process do that fx could be added.

Spacebar1739
Explorer
I did come across this post.. very cool I didn't think of flying. So glad we are all thinking along the same lines
viewtopic.php?t=654

dakom
Explorer
Hey all - I realise this thread is like 3 years old but wondering if anyone can confirm that the Loreo on a 7D works for producing 3D video... actually for Gear VR? Are the fisheye lenses necessary? Anyone have test footage? 🙂