cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tridef DDD Driver support.

edulinares
Honored Guest
This question goes to Palmer, Nate and the Oculus Team (others feel free to discuss what they know, of course): What are the plans to make Oculus compatible with Tridef (or vice-versa)? Last I heard, the guys at tridef were waiting to get the devkit, which they probably already got by now. I`m sure they have been in talks with Oculus.

Is there a partnership in the horizon? It would be the perfect match and pretty much a win-win situation making the Rift instantly compatible with the hundred`s of games in Tridef`s catalogue. In fatc that would flat out clear away the problem of content being available for the consumer version altogether, I mean how awesome would that be?
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree Tridef support would be great... however correct me if I'm wrong, but it would pretty much only make the games able to be viewed in stereoscopic... and it would not enable the head tracking...

like palmer has said before, and i agree, i think the best VR experiences will be created from scratch natively designed for VR. it's hard to make good VR experience from a game that already has been built unless it's highly moddable, but yeah it would be cool to at least have the option to play the large list of games supported with tridef in 3D 🙂

edulinares
Honored Guest
"mikeybabs" wrote:
I agree Tridef support would be great... however correct me if I'm wrong, but it would pretty much only make the games able to be viewed in stereoscopic... and it would not enable the head tracking...

like palmer has said before, and i agree, i think the best VR experiences will be created from scratch natively designed for VR. it's hard to make good VR experience from a game that already has been built unless it's highly moddable, but yeah it would be cool to at least have the option to play the large list of games supported with tridef in 3D 🙂

Yeah, I mean to make games become playable on the Rift, with the bonus of true stereoscopic 3D. It would not make the head tracking work, but it would be good to have the option and play a backlog of games on a noew perspective.

Also, the head tracking could be achieved by other means, like hard-coding it on games that make it possible (like open-source ones). Or someone could make an emulator of sorts....the sensors are basically a simple input method, if you have a driver that translates that into controller inputs + Tridef with Oculus settings, then you have the Rift`s main features in a huge backlog of games.

Obviously they would not be that PROPER VR experience, there will be HUD`s and all but TF2 shows that OR can work well with older games without any major issue. Also, limiting the OR only for games that were made specifically for it is an unnecessary limitation IMO, it should be possible to use as an immersion enhancer, for just about any game, that`s in fact what my main goal for it.

edulinares
Honored Guest
To exemplify, they asked Palmer and Nate what games they wanetd to play in OR.

Palmer replied Fallout 3.

NAte replied Dark Souls.

Those are not games made for VR, but their world would be so much more immersive. And Dark Souls isn`t even a First-person game. So if the guys behind Oculus themselves would like to see games like these on the Rift, surely lots of people out there would love to try them too.

mm0zct
Protege
Sorry to revive this but I just wanted to chime in a good reason why tridef support would be good:

Their 3D is good, that's the important part they need to play, tracking can come from elsewhere.

Rift sensor tracking is now supported in FaceTrackNoIR (as of 1.8, you can check out the posix branch in git and build it, the release might not be for a little while).

This means that games like Dirt2,3, GRID, Wings of Prey, ARMAII etc. have rotational head tracking support now, as well as FTNOIR providing mouse emulation like Virieo too. However Virieo does not support any of these yet (at least not well enough that it's close to enjoyable to play) so I think having TridefDDD support on the graphics end, with tracking from elsewhere would be a great solution to the legacy catalogue problem.

fivestarsimulat
Honored Guest
Any news to report on this?

edulinares
Honored Guest
UNfortunately nobody at Oculus gave a shit about this thread. Heck there is a ciberreality post on the topic just below this one so I guess they don`t have any interest.

We should ask on the Tridef forums and see if they have something to say.

cybereality
Grand Champion
I can't really comment on whether we are working with DDD, or what they think of this. It may make sense to ask them on their forum.

However, in general, 3D drivers are not going to produce the full VR experience we are aiming for here are Oculus, and we wouldn't want to endorse something if we felt it provided a sub-par experience. Though there is a place for 3D drivers, it is probably best if developers code native support for the Rift in their games.

edulinares
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
I can't really comment on whether we are working with DDD, or what they think of this. It may make sense to ask them on their forum.

However, in general, 3D drivers are not going to produce the full VR experience we are aiming for here are Oculus, and we wouldn't want to endorse something if we felt it provided a sub-par experience. Though there is a place for 3D drivers, it is probably best if developers code native support for the Rift in their games.

Seeing the amount of interest directec at Vireio and Vorpx (and I`m sure you guys use it yourselves :mrgreen: ) it`s obvious there is a place for them. We`re not talking about "full flawless VR experience" here, that can only be achieved by the projects with that goal in mind that are jus starting to be made. We are talking about making the Rift compatible with as many titles and products as possible, making it have a wider appeal. Why wouldn`t Oculus even consider a dialog with Tridef, the have a huge catalog of compatible games and a nice established user base. I`d love to see that happen 😉

snarfbot
Honored Guest
Would it be possible to crank up the in game fov and render at a higher resolution while zooming the image so say the middle 75% is visible? Then you could take the head tracking data and use it to pan the viewable image. It would befugly in the periphery but it would at least give a limited free look and decouple the aim from the head tracking even in games that don't support it ya know. Might help with the nausea some people experience too.