cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity3D - Free vs. Pro

sbf0202
Honored Guest
I pre-ordered DK2 which is due to arrive sometime in August. While I'm waiting, I wanted to take a look at the development environment and get started with Unity3D. Would the free version work with the Oculus Rift (provided I just want to try and build demos for personal use or sharing with other Rift users at no cost), or are there features specific to the Pro version that I would need in order to work with the Rift?

Thanks,

Scott
23 REPLIES 23

TKassis
Honored Guest
I've also been curious about that. I mainly want to use Unity to make some virtual biotech demos to show to students. From what I've read though it seems that we need the Pro version (I could be wrong).

MikeArms24
Honored Guest
Currently only the pro version works with Oculus (same goes for many external plugins). I think they're looking into Oculus support for the free version, but I wouldn't hold my breath it happens any time soon.

sbf0202
Honored Guest
So I'm probably still going to get my feet wet with the free edition, but are there any alternative development environments for the Rift that are free (or less expensive) than Unity3D?

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes, you need Unity Pro. This is because the Oculus Rift uses some features that are only available in the Pro version.

There are other engines, though Unity may be on of the best for indie developers right now. Unreal Engine 4 is very affordable and is top notch quality (but maybe a little more complex to learn that Unity).

sbf0202
Honored Guest
It looks like might be eligible for the educational license, So I might look into the annual license (I think around $150 for a year) if I'm comfortable with the free version.

I'll give Unreal Engine a look as well

Thanks!

- Scott

zechelon
Honored Guest
I preordered the dev2, too. Yesterday I saw, that there isn't a 4 month trial of the unity-pro like in the old dev1.
Because I don't have 1500 bugs in my architectural office to pay for a additional software in budget, I will use a different engine.

Thats a pity, because it is only one feature that would let the free version work with it :cry:
Now I have to look how I can import architectural environments and buildings in UDK...

As I sayed - a pity...

vurt
Honored Guest
can you develop on the free version and then import that to the pay-per-month version?

I mean generally, i know not all functions are available on free.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes, I believe the files are compatible going from free to pro (but not the other way around).

raintitan
Honored Guest
Unity looks like a great solution, but I didn't want to commit to a year at the subscriber monthly price. And unfortunately it appears that the free version doesn't support Oculus development (someone please tell me if I'm wrong).

I decided to start with Unreal Engine 4 since it was only $20 USD a month and I could cancel anytime. It has out of the box support.

I'm not suggesting one over the other, but competition in this case is a good thing. You do also have the option of a free Unity trial for a month.

R