cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App doesn't appear in My Preview Apps

Bas_Present4D
Honored Guest
Hey, new to the forums so apologies if this is in the wrong section.

At our company we have been developing a VR app for many years now, supporting multiple platforms, and now we want to include Oculus Quest. A sideloaded app works perfectly on the Quest, but for some reason the apk, when loaded onto a test channel, does not appear within the My Preview Apps section in the store (within the Quest).
Is it necessary for us to go through the entire Quest application form submission before it will appear there, or is there something we can do now to allow us to preview and test with remote developers/testers?

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

LoneWolfDev
Honored Guest
Hi Bas_Present4D,

From my limited understanding you need to select the build on the store channel for you to see it available in the store on the quest or rift etc.

The app is in the store channel but not submitted so there's no need to be reviewed etc by the submissions team.

When you do submit, this is the build which is submitted of course.

I've uploaded an example below.

Hope that clears things up.
gv05vvqaxjm1.png

mouse_bear
Retired Support
@Bas_Present4D Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Currently, the use of release channels and Oculus Keys for Oculus Quest apps are only available after being accepted through the process. Should this change in the future, we will be sure to let our developer community know.

mattbenic
Protege
@NinjaGaijin is there an alternate way to distribute builds over the air to testers for applications other than release channels? We have a non-game application that may not even be destined for store use. We've been able to use channels for distribution to the limited number of go headsets we needed to. Trying the same with the Quest, we set up a product for the go as some suggested here, and managed to get the fiddly bits (eg v1 signing) sorted and the build uploaded, but it only appears in our Preview Apps list for the go. Do we have an option other than sideloading?

Bas_Present4D
Honored Guest

@Bas_Present4D Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums!

Currently, the use of release channels and Oculus Keys for Oculus Quest apps are only available after being accepted through the process. Should this change in the future, we will be sure to let our developer community know.

Thank you for clearing it up, much appreciated!

e2vrtest
Explorer
I have the same problem with @mattbenic, I can see my preview app in Go but not in Quest. I'm not sure it's due to my configuration (manifest xml file, signing application) or it's simply impossible for the moment. In the list of supported devices, I can't find the Oculus Quest too (only Oculus Go and Samsung Gear VR)

mattbenic
Protege
@e2vrtest unfortunately there's no way around that without getting access to quest specific build deployment, at which point you can create builds specifically for the quest. The best alternative option we found to get new builds to our testers was to send them a customized version of SideQuest (https://github.com/the-expanse/SideQuest).

If you download the zipped version of sidequest, you can modify the sources file that comes with it (found in <sidequest_unzip_dir>\resources\app.asar.unpacked\build\app\assets\sources.txt) to contain a link to a custom repository you can create and host yourself. In our case we also removed the sources that were already in there, the NSFW section isn't exactly something we want to send out to testers 😉 If you visit one of the repositories that already exist in that file, you'll see they consist of a fairly simple json file that you can copy and modify)and some images. If you host those copies somewhere (like github pages) you can have the json point to a hosted adb file for your app. Sidequest re-scans its sources on every run, so you can just update that hosted json to reflect new version numbers for new builds.

The first time sidequest runs, it copies the sources file to C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\SideQuest. So you need to delete that directory first if you have run sidequest before.

MrComfort
Protege

e2vrtest said:

I have the same problem with @mattbenic, I can see my preview app in Go but not in Quest. I'm not sure it's due to my configuration (manifest xml file, signing application) or it's simply impossible for the moment. In the list of supported devices, I can't find the Oculus Quest too (only Oculus Go and Samsung Gear VR)

Same here, no "Package for Oculus Mobile Devices -> Quest” in the settings.
I also can not find the Oculus Platform tool for uploading to the dashboard in Unreal as stated here: https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/quest/latest/concepts/unreal-platform-tool/ 
So the only way to share test builds is via the Store channel right now?