cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are indie developers totally disqualified from Oculus Quest store? Is the quality really count?

laszlo_leber
Protege
Dear All,

This is not an attack, just a talking.

I'm writting because my second game pitch is rejected from the store, however my current 2 works are good quality products. 

I.) In case of BangSquash I could imagine, that their problem is that it's an arcade game probably, but it's just a tip. It's a block-breaker style game for VR which could be attractive for people of all ages.
I sent the pitch twice to them. So when I got the email that they rejected my pitch, I started to finish the product as soon as possible without lost in details and I published it elsewhere... I simplified it to send it for Go&GearVR too.

zizql2jspzg2.png
Youtube trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDXEy-17hJ0

II. ) My history continued with a horror game...

Ok, I started to develop a next game, where I bought professional models, textures, etc. They are from really professional sources. There were not cheap but I'm a developer, and I have no studio so I must buy them... 

nwpde4qy8xks.png

I sent them a new pitch about this game and they rejected it after a few hours.

Teaser trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBQDIHPH408

I wrote them down, that I have everything to finish this horror game and make this high quality. Of course it was a little teaser trailer after a few days of coding, because I'm at the very beggining of this project.

I think they don't accept pitch from indie developers however I have no doubt that in case of this horror game I will achieve a high quality product at the end.

What do you think about the topic?

I think at least they must provide us more information about the reason. "After a thorough review of your submission, your application has not been accepted to receive Oculus Quest publishing access at this time. Your application is, however, a good candidate for the Oculus Start." is not enought.
7 REPLIES 7

laszlo_leber
Protege
I hope that after I sent my first game twice they didn't push the reject button automatically in case of my secound game 😞

Metal_Multiball
Heroic Explorer
Chris Pruett outlines Quest quality metrics in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrcYCLzgSsY

JeffNik
MVP
MVP
From reading these forums, Oculus is very picky about accepting submissions for the Oculus Store. Also from what I'm reading, they are in the process of integrating support for a second "store" for indie and hobbyist developers to sell their games that are less "curated" (but still follow Oculus content restriction guidelines). I understand it could be in place early next year.

laszlo_leber
Protege

Thank you, I will check it.

laszlo_leber
Protege

JeffNik said:

From reading these forums, Oculus is very picky about accepting submissions for the Oculus Store. Also from what I'm reading, they are in the process of integrating support for a second "store" for indie and hobbyist developers to sell their games that are less "curated" (but still follow Oculus content restriction guidelines). I understand it could be in place early next year.

That would be a nice step from Oculus. I think, they should provide something like that because if they separate at least a category or something like that for indie developers, than it would be a chance for the regular users to buy something they want and for indie developers too to publish their content in official way. For many regular users, the side quest is really complicated way to download and run games. And it's not official. Mostly the hardcore gamers take the trouble to download the games in that way. And most games, for e.g arcade games are not for that community.

JeffNik
MVP
MVP

That would be a nice step from Oculus. I think, they should provide something like that because if they separate at least a category or something like that for indie developers, than it would be a chance for the regular users to buy something they want and for indie developers too to publish their content in official way. For many regular users, the side quest is really complicated way to download and run games. And it's not official. Mostly the hardcore gamers take the trouble to download the games in that way. And most games, for e.g arcade games are not for that community.

There were a few hints that the Oculus solution might actually use the SideQuest platform, with modifications and updates. Apparently Oculus reached out to them, and shortly after the Oculus announcement, the SideQuest team announced some sort of significant changes that they would be making soon, but it's quite possible that's just unrelated or unsubstantiated rumor.

laszlo_leber
Protege

I have just watched this video but I really don't know what's the problem with my pitch. I have sent them a 3 page detailed pitch with all the information they require. I have analysed the example pitch document before.

So my presumption is that they don't accept pitches from Indie developers.  But I don't know why is that? I can invest lots of money into a project too if needed, I can develop it, I can buy the professional models, textures, visual architects too. My reference point is "Affected the Manor" regarding my horror game. And I can tell you I bought similar resources to build the game. it's not impossible to achieve that quality level. And I can invest money for that. But my creativity and huge development experience is given.

Is there any Indie developer who've succeded on quest store?