cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Oculus Avatar support between Rift and Quest

jedmonds91011
Explorer
We are developing our software in Unity 2019.2.1f1 for both Quest and Rift. We are using Oculus Integration v1.40. Users of the application can join each other regardless of device. Currently, all Quest users will see custom avatars and all Rift users will see custom avatars, but neither will see the custom avatar from the other set of devices. Rift users see the white standard avatar for all Quest users and Quest users see the white standard avatar for all Rift users. Is there support for Custom Avatars between the two devices? If so, how can I go about implementing this feature.

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

Corysia
Expert Protege
I don't know the answer to that yet, but I hope to be in the same position you are very soon.
I'm wondering if what you are seeing is the same thing I've noticed in VR Pokerstars when I'm using my Quest.  I will see custom avatars there, but occasionally, there is a white avatar.

MikeF
Trustee
PokerStarsVR creator here so maybe i can help.
How are you sharing your avatar ID's across users? In our case we send each user an RPC containing their avatar ID before the avatar is initialized. Another issue might be that you're not using the same app ID across both platforms, in that situation you'l want to look into app groupings since all avatar ID's are unique to your app

edit: and lastly if you get an occasional pure white avatar like Corysia sometimes sees in my game then that is down to a communication timeout with oculus servers or a user who has not yet customized their avatar

jedmonds91011
Explorer

MikeF said:

PokerStarsVR creator here so maybe i can help.
How are you sharing your avatar ID's across users? In our case we send each user an RPC containing their avatar ID before the avatar is initialized. Another issue might be that you're not using the same app ID across both platforms, in that situation you'l want to look into app groupings since all avatar ID's are unique to your app

edit: and lastly if you get an occasional pure white avatar like Corysia sometimes sees in my game then that is down to a communication timeout with oculus servers or a user who has not yet customized their avatar

Hey, thanks for the quick response. I just discovered the App Groupings section of the Oculus Dashboard. We do have two different apps with different app ids. Once I migrated the rift app, the avatars were working properly. Thanks again!

MikeF
Trustee
No problem, good to hear you got it sorted!