cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Feature Request] Edit in Play Mode for Oculus Quest in Unity

justinomalley
Explorer
I've been building an application for Go until recently, but after trying the Quest am seriously considering changing my platform because of the 6DoF. My Go development process so far has been like this: I use a Rift hooked up to my PC to do most of my Unity development (because of the perk of editing in play mode), then build to the Quest and make sure my build is bug-free before pushing it to my main branch. What I'm wondering is if we'll ever be able to use the Quest hooked directly up to Unity instead of needing to use the Rift for that purpose. Do other people want this feature?
35 REPLIES 35

msp_
Honored Guest
+1

rmib200
Explorer
+1

msp_
Honored Guest
I'm a Mac user. Is this the same under Windows? It looks like the Rift PC SDK only has an old beta release for OSX and presumably doesn't drive the Quest anyway as that uses the mobile SDK?

I had trouble getting SteamVR to run also as I thought I could tell Unity to use OpenVR and that would play directly on device, similar to this tutorial where he uses a Vive I think. I also read somewhere that Valve is not prioritising OSX. Can you drive the Quest via SteamVR on Windows?

https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/first-run-checks?projectId=5cdc9e4cedbc2a1ef423426c#5cd6dbdeedbc2a0...

I'm getting the feeling that OSX is a 2nd class citizen in VR land... 

I'm a newbie so maybe I got all this confused?!

VJ76
Protege
+1

ChickenBacon
Protege
+1

Corysia
Expert Protege
Stephanie Lue (Technical Program Manager) announced support for this today in OC6.

It looks to me like it'll be the tethered Rift solution (which they also announced), not actually running on the Quest.  But 1000% better than build, deploy, test, build deploy, test...

AtriaOculusQues
Honored Guest
+1

SorciumGames
Explorer
Such a welcome feature incoming for developers. Does anyone have an idea when this will be implemented for UE4?

Corysia
Expert Protege

Such a welcome feature incoming for developers. Does anyone have an idea when this will be implemented for UE4?

It's "already there".  All the Quest is going to do is emulate a Rift.  it's NOT going to be the same as running on the Quest as a native Quest application.  You will still have to build & load to see how it performs on a Quest.  But you'll be able to take advantage of rapid level design, etc, with your Quest emulating a Rift.

showga
Honored Guest
+1