cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Data Protection Assessment team says my game's multiplayer needs to use TLS 1.2 - why?

Fulby
Heroic Explorer

My game (Starfighter Arduxim) is made with Unity and Photon - for multiplayer it copies the Oculus.Platform.Models.User.OculusID field to PhotonNetwork.playerName so player names show up on the in-game scoreboard.. I'm being told by the Oculus Data Protection Assessment team that the transmission of the user ID needs use TLS 1.2 as that is the 'industry standard', and that if it doesn't my game will be removed from the App Lab.

Photon doesn't support TLS 1.2 and it sounds like overkill to me to require it just for the user ID, as TLS 1.2 is used for things like secure web pages. The person emailing me doesn't sound like they know what Photon is which makes me think they aren't familiar with how multiplayer games work, and it would explain why they expect encryption more suitable for a business productivity app.

Can anyone at Oculus shed some light on this? Is it just a misunderstanding on how my game is using the user ID? If TLS 1.2 is required, how is this achieved when using Photon?

3 REPLIES 3

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there Fulby! We love that our gamers display their creativity with using Unity to develop games. We have a forum specifically for our Developers to ask questions, gather ideas, and share their experiences with ushering the new wave of gaming. We recommend any inquiries you have, to post them there. Our community is great at assisting with any developer related questions! 

@MetaQuestSupportthis post is in the developer forum, what are you talking about?

Hey Fulby, sorry for the mix-up! You're correct, you're definitely in the right place for this type of discussion. We'll just excuse ourselves and pretend like this never happened... It will be our little secret; posted publicly online for everyone to see.