cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest Text-to-speech

NickAVT
Honored Guest
Hi! In the Oculus Quest is it possible to use native Android Text-to-speech? I've done some test and it does not seem to work.
6 REPLIES 6

huangjun
Protege
Maybe you can try TTS plugin in unity store

bjorn.syse
Protege
Which plugin would you recommend? 

TriplePete
Protege
Has anyone got text to speech TTS to work on Quest?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all, I got Text to Speech working on my Oculus Quest. With the release 17 of the Oculus Quest software, the built in pico tts engine is fully functional, but the limitation remains that no apps (including pico tts) can play sound in the background. So when trying to play TTS through pico tts in my quest I see the following error in LOGCAT:

2020-05-23T20:31:28.733Z: debug27433/27417 AudioTrack updateAppOpsPlayAudio: checkOp OP_PLAY_AUDIO for com.svox.pico returns: 1 (IGNORED)

You can get around this by using the Android API TextToSpeech synthesizeToFile() and save your text to speech output as a wave file on the device memory, and then you can use the usual way in Android API to play this Wave file if your app is in the foreground. However, a developer was able to get background audio playing in their Android background service by popping up a notification every 200 ms (see the SideQuest app called nullnMusic which is open source and has source code on Github).

I fully explain the above in more detail in my youtube video entitled "How to use Text to Speech (TTS) on Oculus Quest VR headset in virtual reality - for developers" on the channel on Youtube called "geoffmobile".

I am new here so not allowed to post links yet, but the youtube link is this:
   www. youtube. com/ watch?v=fXjyB5CzROI

Cheers, hope this helps out some people! 
Geoff

janb86
Honored Guest
@geopet have you been able to get this to work on the Quest 2 as well? In talk FREE on the quest 2, I get a message there is no TTS engine installed. And the settings launcher can't find one either.

eagleeyez
Protege

I am badly partially
sighted and need TTS for all the menus. Just like we blind and partially
sighted use a smartphone. It is called accessibility and Oculus or rather
Facebook are not interested in disabled people. Just become partially sighted
yourself and you would wish for some help.