cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest Low Latency Audio Playback?

emre_tanirgan
Protege
Hello,

I'm trying to port over my PC VR audio application (a drumming app) to the Quest, and from my initial tests I've noticed there to be a noticeable delay between when my audio events are triggered and when they're played. I recently saw this out of date link about using OpenSL audio drivers on Android devices to lower audio latency on the Gear VR (https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/audiosdk/0.10/concepts/osp-unity-mobile-latency/), and I was wondering if the Quest has support for these drivers as well, or if there's a plan to add support for any low latency audio drivers in the future. Or if not, any pointers or best practices with respect to lowering the audio latency would also be of great help. For greater context, I use Unreal Engine and FMOD to ensure minimal latency in my app on PC. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
5 REPLIES 5

JVibes55
Explorer
I am working on a percussion app for Rift and Quest and am also noticing a latency that is going to be unacceptable for any trained drummer end-user, as only slower notes feel ok. I added some haptic feedback to the "strike" and there is a noticeable gap between the vibration on the Touch and the sound occurring in the headset. ... @emre_tanirgan did you ever solve this? Maybe we can share our research and help each other.

To the community, here are the questions I have:
1) Where can I find specs on what an optimal audio latency can be on the Quest?

2) I have successfully implemented CoreAudio routines in the past for iOS to get low latency, is there even an Android equivalent and does the Quest support it?

3) Which game engines handle audio latency the best? I am currently building in Unity but am looking into exploring how well Unreal handles latency, also what about "native" Oculus?

4) I've debated about both implementing a native audio solution, found this (https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/audio/native-audio-107067) on the asset store and am researching. On Rift I'm debating about sending midi events to a low-latency player like Kontakt Player (which I can get between 2ms-10ms) but don't want to complicate things like an extra install for the end user.

Thanks in advance for any info or guidance anyone can offer!

John Best

JVibes55
Explorer
UPDATE: I did end up trying the Native Audio solution in Unity (in no way affiliated with them btw) and on Android it has significantly reduced the latency and made the VR instruments feel more "natural". The latency is now more akin to an electronic instrument. So for Quest, this did the trick. It appears I will possibly suffer some drawbacks with mixing and environmental audio with this fix though, but so far that's not a problem. 

mcjbuckley
Honored Guest
Has anyone got somewhere with this without using the Native Audio unity plugin?

What was the process for compiling the native plugin for Android, and specifically for Quest? I've been able to compile for macOS and Windows, but am not sure how to proceed for creating an Android build. It's difficult to find information on this, any info would be appreciated.

normal_everyday
Explorer

we also use unity audio for the quest.

its fine on quest2
on the quest 3, it seems like the input latency is random right now.  

maybe someone has expirience with quest 2 VS quest 3 in this regard?