cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest Pro Controller Tracking Issues and Fix

mreimer
Expert Protege

I had a tracking issue with quest pro's controllers. There was about 11" of offset between the real ones and the virtual display. BIG difference!

After multiple resets nothing changed. I was getting very frustrated and was about to do a factory reset. I decided to check around the internet for some suggestions.

Apparently, since the controllers have cameras for sensing, they can be sensitive to light. My home office is located in my living room which has alot of large windows. So I took the headset into a darker room, placed the controllers behind my back and when I brought them forward they resynced correctly. Time will tell if they lose tracking again.

36 REPLIES 36

colin.gill.4242
Honored Guest

Yep! same here but doesn't seem to matter if room is bright or dim - particularly the right controller keeps dropping about 30cm. Annoying when you are on a perfect run in Beat Saber!

rutalovr
Honored Guest

I have had too many issues with the controllers and doesn't seem to be an obvious way around the issues. Most recently had 2 weeks of tracking issues which self resolved (probably some update)... so sometimes it seems one has to wait and see if some update will resolve the issue. 

True. My orgs have been acting for a long time but still not willing to use the pro's with their silly reboot requirement and constant camera malfunctions( that what it should be called if they can't handle low light, bright light, medium light, stray light, sun light, candle light, inner light etc).

RogueOutcast
Explorer

June 2023 and this problem is still unsolved, very bad tracking issues, losing either tracking or they just move to a different place which makes impossible to play any shooters, I have no issues at all with  my Index or CV1 rift, and this is just nuts, because my cv1 is like 6 years old now and still has better tracking and delivers a better experience... Standalone games are just not even half as as good as they are on pcvr so I will just return again this unit which is useless pretty much because of bad software or hardware and just wait for the next pcvr headset from the next company that actually wants to make one... pretty sad cause I wanted to keep it so badly but its just too much to pay for a defective unfinished product. If it was software 8 months should had been enough to fix this and if its hardware its clear they are never solving the issue so this was my last quest pro attempt.

I am having exactly the same issue for weeks now. And the quest Pro is now becoming an expensive paperweight. This is ridiculous. 

Yeah they are not solving anything, just refund it if you can or sell it on a marketplace to recover some of your money, literally you are better off with a quest 2 and they just went down to 300 again, buy a link cable or upgrade your internet to a mesh wifi 6e system, your money will be much better spent on something like that. Even if you cannot get the full price you paid for it, because as you said, its now literally a paperweight that I don't even want to power up. My Rift cv1 literally gives me a much better experience if you ignore how blurry the lenses are on some spots around the sweet spot lol.

Larry_O
Protege

Well, they have realised the controllers are sheet themselves as well as Q3 will not have cameras on controllers.

In theory having cameras on controllers is a no-brainer but if you do not know how to utilise the function - as is the case with Pro controllers, as well as PSVR2 regarding their camera utilisation) - it would be best to just go with what you know. Meta should refund those who have issues, even when it's months since purchase.

True, the controllers are bad and no one is really talking about it, they lose tracking, they stop working randomly and you have to restart the headset to have them work again, never both just one in my case and its random left or right sometimes so, its not the hardware probably, and on top of everything now thay keep saying that my controllers are getting hot and they will shutdown in 5 minutes, and they do shut down lmao, I barely use them like 1 hour and they start with that new PROBLEM, along side the other existing problems, this is just ridiculous we are paying a thousand bucks for something that is inferior to their old cheaper Quest 2, and it cant even beat the quest 2 in terms of tracking or performance at all... even on productivity apps because it fails to for example track correctly you cant even write down with the stylus tips, so I really don't understand what on earth the devs are even thinking, not good for gaming, not good for working.... sighs. Just not fair, I really wanted to keep it but it is not good for anything at this point and I'm not waiting for an update that might never come to solve the issues because then I wont be able to return it, so its a real shame.

they work well for my clients an me, in-house we also stress-tested them using beat saber and there we only missed around 1/10 of the notes compared to q2 controller. Its annoying that some people seem to have problems with them, but then again, almost nobody with working controllers will find this thread to say something different ^^

They are not using the qpro controllers with q3 because they are way to expensive compared to the new one, but my guess would be that the pro controllers will also be compatible with q3.

Well this is my second Quest PRO and both were defective, people tell me its the software version but I have both times suffered from problems, the first one I had to reset and turn off like 30 times to finish the controller update to be able to use them LMAO, so the next time they failed to pair which was like 4 days later I simply returned the whole thing, plus I was getting better performance on a quest 2 in all games so there was no point on keeping a 1600 device that had so many interruptions due to faulty software or hardware or both. THEN my second device I just bought it less than a week ago and still has those same issues and even new ones like the controller saying is getting to hot and turns off to cool off for like 5 minutes, its just hillarious at this point, because if this was just bad luck on the device lottery then I had the worst devices both times, at least I know now that the first bad thing I notice on the Quest 3 when I get one its going right back for refund too, because this is just unforgivable. Also IDK if you guys also have bad performance with lots of stutters in all standalone games? Specially bad  horrible stuttering on games like rec room or pavlov shack, since I don't notice at all that problem on my quest 2, I wonder why both units I've bought have had the same issue.