cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the Emulator to test Oculus Quest Apps

chaiwa.berian
Explorer
Is there a way I can install the Oculus Companion App on the Device Emulator and be able to test Oculus Quest Native Apps? I have tried a few things but to no luck.
Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

MikeF
Trustee
Thats meant to be used to emulate a headset if one is not present on the machine, not to emulate a compiled quest app on pc.

chaiwa.berian
Explorer
I meant, like can I setup my Android Device Emulator to setup the Oculus Quest and use it for development in an instance that I do not have a physical phone that meets the requirements?

MikeF
Trustee
Ah gotcha, i was going off your tag referencing the headset emulator script included with the unity integration. 
Can you elaborate on "physical phone that meets the requirements" ? 

If you mean using the emulator with the oculus phone app to pair a headset then no.

If you mean emulating a quest headset then youl need to use the unity integration since that isnt supported outside of unity or unreal as far as im aware. Even if this is the case though you will only be emulating headset IMU via mouse input so device specific features arent represented.

If im totally off the mark on what youre trying to do please elaborate 🙂

chaiwa.berian
Explorer
Thanks Mike, you have answered both questions: that I cannot use the emulator to pair the headset, and that emulating the headsets can only be done in Unity. I am a newbie so I wanted to learn how to develop for Oculus using NDK but in this case it looks like the easier option is to use Unity. Cool!

JETJOOBOY
Explorer

Is this Thread still awake?

I am not that fussed about developing, I just wondered if there is a way that I can do basic housekeeping and interact with settings through my PC using a MOUSE as I find when on Sidequest etc, I am constantly removing and replacing the Headset, which is traumatic for me and my nasty spectacles (Once I am IN it takes a while to get everything comfortable and away from scratching lenses and eyelashes painting my inside lenses.)...

Also it hammers the battery on the Quest when I spend 30 odd minutes setting up options when I first play a game etc..... I just wish I could have an external screen view so I can fiddle in comfort using a mouse to control the basic Right Hand Controller