cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why we can't create Quest 2 Home Environments in Unity and i read you can only make them in Blender?

That's a bit sad cause i have everything and assets in Unity and i know how to use Unity not Blender. ANd if we can make Games in Unity, why they don't provide a way to make Custom home environments in Unity?

8 REPLIES 8

Stugabaranda
Adventurer

I noticed that there is a lot of silence in this community, especially when you have to answer intelligent questions like yours. perhaps in this environment an intelligent question is synonymous with an uncomfortable question

jtriveri
Expert Protege

Because Meta doesn’t want to run the whole Unity runtime for custom homes. Homes need to be as light weight and robust as possible and Unity apps as home environments would compromise that

Stugabaranda
Adventurer
In my opinion, users should have the possibility to recreate their own apartment, or at least the main environment of use, and find it as a virtual home. In my opinion it is too much a mess between stationary borders, room scales and pass through.
With a full scale environment everything would be much easier and more enjoyable.
 moreover, those hideous sofas and gray furniture that are placed in the middle of Meta's native virtual environments are a real eyesore, however useful they are to not break your bones.

They're working up to that point. There's a reason these features are marked 'experimental' for now.

Yet I believe that it is not so science fiction to be able to map and virtually reproduce one's real environments.
in all my ignorance I believe that you can use the same procedure that is used to configure the control system to obtain a virtual scale replica of your home environment. the sensors are there, the pass through to see what maps are there, there are billions of 3d models online.. so I'm not very convinced that there are hw/sw limits but that it is a commercial choice by Meta. Who knows one day with the Quest 10 we will see that we can do things that could also have been done with the Oculus Go hardware.

jtriveri
Expert Protege

Its an issue of time and resources. If it were that simple they would have done it already

Stugabaranda
Adventurer
I don't think so, but I respect your way of thinking.

That's right. Before they bought Oculus, we had freedom with the homes, and now it's just what they allow us.  The home could be all yours, your models and there was even an option to be able to interact with the models, now round zero. There was a model with a fairy girl who would hide when you approached her. It's not a matter of not being able, but of not asking.