cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

360VR film framerate

alcomposer
Honored Guest
Hey all,

I have been producing videos for 360VR experiences of filmed actors, and I would like to know people's opinions or best practice guidelines for VR video content framerates.

Currently 30p looks to be a contender for a good "go to" frame rate. However we really need something greater than that for adding realism.

Choices are:

45 (90/2)
48 (hobbit framerate)
50 (?)
60 (2 x 30)

Any thoughts from community? Or maybe even a completely different frame rate?

Cheers
Alex
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

LZoltowski
Champion
As a film maker myself I would say 60fps. Since you want to feel immersed a frame rate like that would work best for that ... real life ... experience.

(This is completely separate to the 90fps the host player needs to operate in for accurate head tracking)
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

View solution in original post

LZoltowski
Champion
For a cinematic experience anyting between 24 and 60 ... for something that feels a bit more REAL LIFE and fluid. 48 to 60 should be good. We don't need those extra frames really, but somehow the brain accepts it as Hyper Real more willingly above the 48 frames.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

LZoltowski
Champion
As a film maker myself I would say 60fps. Since you want to feel immersed a frame rate like that would work best for that ... real life ... experience.

(This is completely separate to the 90fps the host player needs to operate in for accurate head tracking)

Be kind to one another 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion
Progressive and not interlaced obvs

Be kind to one another 🙂

alcomposer
Honored Guest
Thanks for answer man, but I just don't know how this will pan out in future. For example if 90Hz HMD's becomes standard then 60p will be horrible as its not a matching frame rate. Have you created any 60p 360VR content?

Would be great if there was an ISO regarding 360VR video. At least so everyone is on the same page.

4K60P may be an idea?

alcomposer
Honored Guest
Also at some level isn't 60p overkill? I would say that ~50 would probably be enough? 50p is supported on YouTube 360VR.

LZoltowski
Champion
No ISO yet unfortunately ... the difference in video FPS and the 90hz upper limit of the displays should not have any noticeable artefacts .... you can watch 24fps movies on a 120Hz LCD TV without any issues .. so that is not a problem. The head tracking will be done by the host player anyway.

I am still waiting for my rift unfortunately. But from production experience 60fps Progressive will be your best bet ... now this is for 2d 360 Videos ... When you get into the 3d realm .... 48fps might be the upper limit here .. due to file size constrictions. (4K video in full SBS?!)

Be kind to one another 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion
For a cinematic experience anyting between 24 and 60 ... for something that feels a bit more REAL LIFE and fluid. 48 to 60 should be good. We don't need those extra frames really, but somehow the brain accepts it as Hyper Real more willingly above the 48 frames.

Be kind to one another 🙂

alcomposer
Honored Guest
Personally, unless we are light field capturing the scene or using displacement maps in real-time I don't quite think 360 VR 3D is a must have.  If VR catches on we will probably see 3d as a post process similar to what is happening now in film.

Just wish VR companies got together and decided on a standard frame rate for video.  At least we could have recommendations.  This isn't to block other framerates- but it would allow us to market our experiences as 360VR HFR for example.

24-25-30 are just so similar, with only a noticeable difference occouring at 40+