cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BATTLE HIRIETH

blacknorth
Level 2
Hi Everyone,

We are a small studio in Ireland www.blacknorth.tv developing our first VR game called Battle Hirieth. https://www.facebook.com/battlehirieth?ref=hl

https://vimeo.com/141329109

Is kickstarter a good platform for funding small indie VR games?? We want to raise 100K to finish.
Would you support Battle Hirieth? https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/QM6YJD7

Thanks!

Kris
8 REPLIES 8

HomerS66
Level 5
While it looks interesting, i have my doubts that a game can reach 100k on Kickstarter, unless it is something very special and unique.

If even a high praised game like Pixel Ripped for several platforms dident reach their goal of 40.000 pounds and only made 12.800.

Good luck but not sure if it can reach that.

blacknorth
Level 2
This is a very Valid point homers66. Cheers. So how are most of the VR titles being funded?

K

HomerS66
Level 5
No idea, i guess most have to find a way themselves to finance it upfront and start with smaller projects and then release those in the store, to built up income for bigger projects. Or maybe participate at VR Jams to win some cash and support.

Of course you can try the kickstarter/investor way but i guess the goal would need to be much lower than 100k.

Hiro_Protag0nist
Level 13
That gameplay looks really impressive, is it for the Gear VR?

blacknorth
Level 2
Yeah, developed for and running on GearVR with note 4. Would like to launch on it.

K

ricard2798
Level 2
I certainly agree with homer that participating in game jams its a great vehicle to have projects funded. I have been working on a project for gearvr as well, similar to yours, and it is because of a game jam that i won that i have been able to pursue the development of my game further. If all goes according to plan, i will go to china next month to present to venture capitalists and investors in china, to pitch my game (that was the prize of the game Jam).
Also, a good idea is to release a small sample demo (maybe a level or 2) to both generate a little buzz about your game, and also to gather feedback. This has helped me tremendously. use a free gearvr distributing platform, like sideload vr, to distribute in beta format prior to releasing on the gearvr store (to avoid getting bad ratings ). The feedback you get will allow you to better build your app for its official gearvr debut.
Also remember, that on novermber, its the official release of the gearvr for consumers... so having even a demo ready for that launch date will give you great exposure! in fact, if you really need money to continue development, you might even consider releasing the game as an episodic experience. do a free chapter one... then charge a couple of bucks for additional chapters.. and that way you get funds, little by little.
Also, keep in mind that there are a lot of studies that suggest that Vr game development wont yield any true financial rewards well into maybe the end of 2016. Once th3 adoption rate is high enough, then the money will be there. Yet,m what you develop now will give you skills and experience that will make your later apps much more robust.
P.S. I would have offered to pitch your concept to the chinese investors (i am helping a few devs with that), but unfortunately in the case of your game, I am afraid it would compete with my game 😞

ricard2798
Level 2
Oh, one final thing... i read that you are developing with note 4 as your target platform. I am doing so as well.. but at oculus connect, we got a gear for the s6, and I tell ya, the hardware improvement makes a substantial difference for your game. Many things in my game were not working correctly on note 4, and suddenly work perfect on s6... Some textures, reflections... even less heating.
since the retail gearvr will not support the note 4, you might want at some point to shift focusing on note 4, and instead go for s6. you will be able to do more and get even better performance 🙂

blacknorth
Level 2
latest Battle Hirieth update. https://vimeo.com/153476245