cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get VR Controller in Canada?

Hyde99X
Honored Guest
I've been looking everywhere, and I can't seem to find the new VR Controller anywhere standalone in Canada. We have the bundle available here, but the controller by itself is nowhere to be found. Nothing on Amazon CA, eBay CA, Samsung CA, and basically it is looking like if I want to get the controller I'd have to drop another $200CAD to get the entire bundle. I see on the Samsung US site you can get it by itself for like $40, but gives me no such option in Canada, nor does the site ship to Canada.

Any other Canadians here in the same boat as me?
11 REPLIES 11

enkayz
Protege
Had the same problem in Australia. I ended up buying a bundle from someone who bought the S8 and wasn't interested in VR. Now I have several Gear VRs.. but the new one has cleaner lenses so I am using that!

The total cost was $80 AUD but I have heard of some going as low as $60. Just look on Craigslist or whatever second hand classified site exists in Canada.

Hyde99X
Honored Guest

enkayz said:

Had the same problem in Australia. I ended up buying a bundle from someone who bought the S8 and wasn't interested in VR. Now I have several Gear VRs.. but the new one has cleaner lenses so I am using that!

The total cost was $80 AUD but I have heard of some going as low as $60. Just look on Craigslist or whatever second hand classified site exists in Canada.

That's the thing. No one would just sell the controller, especially here. And my city sucks for buy and sell stuff like this. I'd rather not drop $200 every time I need a new controller. It's ridiculous they won't release it here as a standalone product.

enkayz
Protege
You're right, nobody is going to sell the controller on it's own. But the total cost of both the controller and the new Gear VR from Gumtree was actually less than it would have been to buy a controller stand-alone.

Hyde99X
Honored Guest

enkayz said:

You're right, nobody is going to sell the controller on it's own. But the total cost of both the controller and the new Gear VR from Gumtree was actually less than it would have been to buy a controller stand-alone.

Guess I'm out of luck here then. So many cool uses of the controller that would make me crack out my Gear VR more, but I'll never get to play them now it seems.

enkayz
Protege
I don't understand. Do you refuse to buy a bundle out of principal even though it's effectively the same price as buying a single controller? People are offloading their S8 bundle unopened, still in the plastic wrapping, including the content voucher on second hand sites for less than the cost of a controller.

Hyde99X
Honored Guest

enkayz said:

I don't understand. Do you refuse to buy a bundle out of principal even though it's effectively the same price as buying a single controller? People are offloading their S8 bundle unopened, still in the plastic wrapping, including the content voucher on second hand sites for less than the cost of a controller.

There is no principal. I have no need or current want for an S8, and buy and sell groups in my city are FAR from good for selling things. I could have a brand new S8 in box, unopened, and I would be lucky to sell it for another over $300, meaning I'd be out a shit ton of money. That's in a situation where that would actually apply. Where I live, if you get the phone with the Oculus bundle, you are required to activate the device on an expensive phone plan, unless you are willing to buy the entire device outright.

The controller alone is $40 (probably $60 in Canada). And $200 and $60 are not even close to being the same price. I'm not going to go out and spend $200 on a Gear VR that I don't need just so I can get the controller. That's absolutely ludicrous. Imagine if there were no PS4 controllers that you could buy, and the only way to get a new controller was to buy the entire system each time you wanted one. You'd probably think it was pretty silly for them not to sell separately then, right? That is exactly the point I'm getting at. You keep saying the price point is "the same as a controller", but I'm telling you that is NOT how it works here.

enkayz
Protege
I'm not sure you're grasping the concept I'm trying to convey here. You're talking about buying an S8? I'm just saying to buy a VR bundle from someone who bought an S8 and doesn't want the bundle. I don't know much about Canada, but a quick google for "Gear VR with Controller Canada Craigslist":

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cell-phone-accessories/markham-york-region/samsung-gear-vr-with-controller-20...
$100 for the Gear VR with Controller Bundle

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cell-phone-accessories/markham-york-region/gear-vr-with-controller-2017-bnib-...
another for $100

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/edmonton/samsung-gear-vr-with-controller-2017/1260746140?enableSe...
$100 in edmonton

so you could always haggle a bit. at the very most, it's going to cost you $100, not $200. I understand that you can't get the $40 controller on it's own and that sucks - but if you want a Gear VR Controller, this is the price you're going to have to pay unless you can get one locally from Samsung and it appears as though the only place you can buy a controller on it's own is in the US.

or you know, you could sit around and refuse to buy the tech because it costs you more than you think it should, the fact is that it costs what it costs and take it from me, even at $100, the controller is -WORTH IT-. It makes the entire Gear VR experience about 100x better.

jdbelcourt
Honored Guest
I also have the gear VR 2016 and want to buy the gearvr controller alone. I'm based in Quebec.
Even the oculus Store refuse to sell it to the canadian customer!

I talked with the customer service of samsung on the chat. The guy refered me to the site: http://www.samsungcanadaparts.com/
From my sight, it doesn't seem to offer the controller neither. I let a message to the customer service by phone too: 1-877-407-6593. I hope that they'll call me back! 

If someone can call them too, it would help us to obtain what we want.
I'll keep you informed of my experience.

Kasreyn
Honored Guest
The controller is now available direct from Samsung UK for 49 UKP  😮 (By using code VRTH1RTY you can bring this down to a more manageable 34.30 UKP. 🙂 )
So I'm sure Samsung will have these available in Canada very shortly.

Anyone tried this new controller on a innovator/Note 4 combo? 
I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't work unless some sort of s/w block is used. Any confirmation would be welcome!