cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compression is AWFUL

nadav590
Honored Guest
I must discuss something about 3D stereoscopic 360 videos like NextVR coldplay and paul mccartny and also Jurrasic park.

I fully understand the note 4 screen limitations by every aspect . but something feels wrong about all of the above. They all really bad quality must-be compressed files for awsome content. For example i read this in NextVR SITE :

According to Phil Harvey, Creative Director of Coldplay: "You're literally inside the show, front of stage with the band. The quality of this virtual reality experience is far superior to anything else out there. It's pretty mind-blowing."

"If you thought going to an IMAX theatre felt like almost being there – you will be floored when you view NextVR's content. It's almost better than being there,"

RRALLY? THE DEMO HE WATCHED ON THE GEAR VR MUST BE DIFFRENT FROM WHAT IVE SEEN. if the option of low blury quality Jurassic world 500MB stood against 2-3 GB Awsome Quallity ill choose the second one isnt that what you will do? Than why we get from oculus store super low quality videos like paul mccartny show ?

Why they dont give us the option to download full size videos? I just cant enjoy and be immersed in this stuff..
5 REPLIES 5

I think the message needs to be clear - 360 videos are not good!

Animated ones/CGI can be good - watch Evolution of Verse!
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

clone
Explorer
"andyring" wrote:

Where did you watched a high-quality version of Evolution of Verse?
Do you mean the one on Vrse? It is not CGI it is also a compressed video :?
I mean its not bad, i really like it but the quality is ridiculous compared to ORBX content for example...

..and i have to agree with the OP the quality of the 360 movies is really awful :cry:
Afaik this has something to do with the limitation of the smartphone chip and the hardware video decoder.
Here is something what Carmack has said:

..Here are some notes about video quality that I circulated internally at Oculus:
The hardware decoder on the Samsung devices can handle a lot of bit rate; I think we have successfully played back up to 80 Mb/s, but the largest image stream it can decode is 4096×2048 at 30 fps. For a monoscopic panorama that is roughly the resolution that we render synthetic game content at (but game content is 60 fps), but less than half the optimal resolution for display on the 2560×1440 displays.
There are two limits in play here — the Google video framework in Android has an (arbitrary, as for as I can tell) limit of 2048 lines high on an image, and the decoding hardware has a limit of about 240 Mpixels/s which can be flexibly divided between image size and frame rate. The optimal video stream for the current hardware would be about 6000×3000 at 60 fps in stereo, or 2160 Mpixels/s. A factor of nine over what we have now. When we get 4k displays, that will double again...

Full article here: http://360cameraonline.com/john-carmack-on-360-video-via-reddit/

So if not someone finds a tricky solution to break this decoding barrier we can only hope for a better hardware support in future devices. :geek:
...why so serious?

"clone" wrote:
"andyring" wrote:

Where did you watched a high-quality version of Evolution of Verse?
Do you mean the one on Vrse? It is not CGI it is also a compressed video :?
I mean its not bad, i really like it but the quality is ridiculous compared to ORBX content for example...

..and i have to agree with the OP the quality of the 360 movies is really awful :cry:
Afaik this has something to do with the limitation of the smartphone chip and the hardware video decoder.
Here is something what Carmack has said:

..Here are some notes about video quality that I circulated internally at Oculus:
The hardware decoder on the Samsung devices can handle a lot of bit rate; I think we have successfully played back up to 80 Mb/s, but the largest image stream it can decode is 4096×2048 at 30 fps. For a monoscopic panorama that is roughly the resolution that we render synthetic game content at (but game content is 60 fps), but less than half the optimal resolution for display on the 2560×1440 displays.
There are two limits in play here — the Google video framework in Android has an (arbitrary, as for as I can tell) limit of 2048 lines high on an image, and the decoding hardware has a limit of about 240 Mpixels/s which can be flexibly divided between image size and frame rate. The optimal video stream for the current hardware would be about 6000×3000 at 60 fps in stereo, or 2160 Mpixels/s. A factor of nine over what we have now. When we get 4k displays, that will double again...

Full article here: http://360cameraonline.com/john-carmack-on-360-video-via-reddit/

So if not someone finds a tricky solution to break this decoding barrier we can only hope for a better hardware support in future devices. :geek:

You mean they got a train to drive through a lake, turn in to birds then ribbons and filmed a baby in a womb and asked it to grab hold of the camera?

No camera jiggery-pokery?

Amazing! 😄

Anyway, seemed incredibly high quality to me. Maybe i was so wowed i didn't even notice?
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

clone
Explorer
"andyring" wrote:

You mean they got a train to drive through a lake, turn in to birds then ribbons and filmed a baby in a womb and asked it to grab hold of the camera?

No camera jiggery-pokery?

Amazing! 😄

Anyway, seemed incredibly high quality to me. Maybe i was so wowed i didn't even notice?

Not exactly (you would have to train a lot of birds 😉 ).
I suppose: They made a 360° video of the lake. Played it in high-speed back and overlayed it with the CGI stuff.
After finishing the combination it was exported as a 360° movie and compressed for various outputs.

Again dont get me wrong, it is a nice movie, but its not the crisp quality the gear vr can show other stuff.
...why so serious?

Seri
Honored Guest
We are all waiting for OTOY 360 3D videos but as far as I know there is none available at the moment.

Until then, the best 3D videos i've seen are the 180° pron ones... that is funny...