Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed in the "screen" detail

slybacon
Honored Guest
Just got my Gear VR yesterday

Wondered if I am doing something wrong.

Removed all the lens protectors from the Gear VR, cleaned the screen on my Note 4. Adjusted the "wheel" as far as I can get it to adjust either way.

Viewing the Iceland 360 video tour and the Cirqu de Solei video it is difficult to see any detail in the image. Also when I look around I can see "points" and "edges' within the image. I think this is being caused by refraction in the lenses but as a "newbie" I have no clue.

Should the image not be as sharp as the actual phone screen? I know I am looking at a magnification of the pixels but I imagined the image was going to be a LOT sharper.

By the way the 360 degree picture from the top of the Radio tower in Berlin is great. When I looked down I got a bit of a shock 🙂
22 REPLIES 22

snappahead
Expert Protege
The 360 videos are running at a lower rez than the photos are. Much more compression in the video content. If you look at some real time content like The Blu or any of the games, the picture should be pretty sharp.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

slybacon
Honored Guest
"Snappahead" wrote:
The 360 videos are running at a lower rez than the photos are. Much more compression in the video content. If you look at some real time content like The Blu or any of the games, the picture should be pretty sharp.

Thanks for the info. The 360 pics did look much sharper. Any use in changing the screen on the Note 4 from Adaptive to AMOLED cinema or photo?

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Totally agree, the 360 videos are poor quality when compared to the photos. Anything with a long viewing distance looks awful blurry mess which even to the untrained eye is going to be off-putting. Whoever is in charge of these and the marketing needs a big kick up the backside. Surely it's obvious when showcasing new tech to focus on the strengths and not deliberately highlight the limitations.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

HomerS66
Expert Protege
"slybacon" wrote:

Thanks for the info. The 360 pics did look much sharper. Any use in changing the screen on the Note 4 from Adaptive to AMOLED cinema or photo?

I always run it in Amoled cinema which has the punchiest colours, but actually not sure if it makes a difference in VR or if it defaults to another mode there.

MasterElwood
Protege
"Shadowmask72" wrote:
Totally agree, the 360 videos are poor quality when compared to the photos. Anything with a long viewing distance looks awful blurry mess which even to the untrained eye is going to be off-putting. Whoever is in charge of these and the marketing needs a big kick up the backside. Surely it's obvious when showcasing new tech to focus on the strengths and not deliberately highlight the limitations.

The Videos are actually pretty hires. 2880*1440@60fps and a bitrate of up to 40Mbit/s. I don´t think the Note 4 can handle videos with higher specs.

Problem is: They LOOK lowres because they have to stretch all around you.

Yeticrab
Explorer
"MasterElwood" wrote:

The Videos are actually pretty hires. 2880*1440@60fps and a bitrate of up to 40Mbit/s. I don´t think the Note 4 can handle videos with higher specs.

It can go higher, you're limited to a vertical resolution of 2160, but that's the only hard limit that I know of. I've had success with resolutions as high as 3840x2160, and they look a lot better than everything that came with the gearvr.

CamboMcfly
Honored Guest
Yeah its weird that video from other sources is MUCH higher in detail than anything that came with the GearVR itself lol hopefully they fix that later but its def not a screen issue or settings issue. I mean we have a damn near 4k screen right? So whats up with the component cable quality footage Milk VR gives us? I'm considering investing in a Ricoh to see if i can get any good footage up.

Yeticrab
Explorer
"CamboMcfly" wrote:
Yeah its weird that video from other sources is MUCH higher in detail than anything that came with the GearVR itself lol hopefully they fix that later but its def not a screen issue or settings issue. I mean we have a damn near 4k screen right? So whats up with the component cable quality footage Milk VR gives us? I'm considering investing in a Ricoh to see if i can get any good footage up.

A lot of this boils down to file size. 10gig videos create a distribution problem.

CamboMcfly
Honored Guest
im not too sure. there are plenty of compression techniques that could be carried over into VR. I have videos SMALLER than whats on the SD card that look much much better.