cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double fan for Gear VR

SkydivingVR
Honored Guest
Ok so I've been searching all day for the perfect fan and then when i got home i found this stupid little laptop table i got the other day with a double fan with power switch connected to plug with USB.
Sitting at home all this time damn it.

It is actually one of those wonderuful light bulb moments when you could not ask for a more perfect set up. I thought I would share as everything fits perfectly and after easter i will go down to the local electronics and hardware store and get the bits i need to make it all sit in place.

HOW THE FUC DO YOU ADD PHOTOS??
I'd really like to show this set up as it is absolute fluke. A double fan with cut outs int he grill and the grill fits perfect with a little micro switch and a little outlet to plug a round plug into it and a USB on the other end. Just super perfect Id like to share the flukeness.
I am a professional skydiving Freefall Cinematographer of over 20 years. Lover of Air Jordan's and the future of what VR can become. Let me know if you need a fan for inside and outside of your mask to eliminate fogging. Free you cant pay $15
8 REPLIES 8

SkydivingVR
Honored Guest
Nevermind, here is a image showing it, exactly

Actually this is EXACTLY it. Both fans fit into the vr cover and the switches sit through the grooves and then you cut a hole and atach it with the already screw holes and a joint bar.
Or you can actually make that entire metal frame, super light fit perfectly as it is the exact same size and fits like a glove, just need to find a way to keep it atached.

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1.HWEGXXX ... XFXXXi.jpg

Taken from this thing....

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/214/420/ ... 14_031.jpg
I am a professional skydiving Freefall Cinematographer of over 20 years. Lover of Air Jordan's and the future of what VR can become. Let me know if you need a fan for inside and outside of your mask to eliminate fogging. Free you cant pay $15

mitchellvii
Honored Guest
Cool solution. I've been using 1 80mm fan and it works great. Aren't those fans noisy and heavy? 2 seems like overkill.

AceHighness
Honored Guest
looks pretty heavy ... can you put it on your kitchen scale and let us know the weight ?

sisermann
Explorer
Great initiative! The only thing that disturbes me, that us "beta" testers have to come up with solutions like this.

SkydivingVR
Honored Guest
"AceHighness" wrote:
looks pretty heavy ... can you put it on your kitchen scale and let us know the weight ?

I was expecting the fans to be noisy and was gob smacked at how quiet they are. They really are quiet.

The frame though did not work out, so i screwed two fans onto the front cover and then got a credit card sized batery charger and plugged the usb into it after attaching it to the side strap.
I also made a switch which sits behind the top of one of the fans to turn it on and off

As for the weight, its a couple of ounces.

I am looking at this miniture fan that would actually sit inside the vr unit up on the top right of your eye. it is that small. IM thinking this would be great and take away all weight, all visibility of home repairs and work perfectly by wiring the fan out through the rubber frame work and through the foam which covers the rubber cut outs near the eye.

Not sure about you guys but you are mostly in the northern hemisphere and probably have no idea whatits like suing this thing at 90 degrees farenheight. NO snorkel mask drops or shyt like that works. none.

It is bloody nice now to be able to sit down in the evening and watch this without having to worry about fogging and the fans.

IM having a really annoying problem with drift which i never experienced until recently and that noise in cinema is annoying, but for those who do not know, when you go into the cinema or home theatre or moon and you hear the noise, just click back out of the cinema and then go back in and the noise stops. Bloody annoying though if you dont know this.

SkydivingVR
Honored Guest
"mitchellvii" wrote:
Cool solution. I've been using 1 80mm fan and it works great. Aren't those fans noisy and heavy? 2 seems like overkill.

Wait till you hit your summer mate. You aint seen nothing yet. It gets foggy in a second and after ten seconds the lenses are dripping.

BTW, I am trying to patent something that every VR user needs. If any of you have any knowledge in patents please get in touch and i will bring you in on it. i already have it made and its the simplest of things but will be the equivilant of a mobile phone case was to mobiles when smart phones first came out, but it is not a case or anything as such....
I have five dmeo models at the moent and I will send anyone who wants to try one out in this community one for the price of postage as soon as these demos are all built, which should be complete in a few days.

It is so hard ot clean the front lenses, imagine a cleaner that comes with a anti fogging ingrediant, but it is round and is concave to the shape of the lens from the front angle. The object fits right over the lens and your hand stays outside the frame work and you simply press it against the lense and twirl it around and presto, clean lens with a coating of anti fog shyt.

They are costing bugger all to make so super cheap to sell but cost a fortune in tooling and farking around with different models.

Once i have my supplyies ill send some out and you guys figure out what you like best.

mitchellvii
Honored Guest
Wait till Summer? I have AC.

Housepaxsydney
Honored Guest
Yeah it gets old really ffast sitting under the AC while watching a movie.

I too have AC but in all honesty i found it to be bloody annoying to always be frezzing cold during the beautiful summer just so i could watch films etc.

Anyway, im just saying if fogging is a issue for people now, most of them probably never considered summer.

Why would you be in the fogging thread anyway if fogging was not a issue for you??

Thanks for your constructive post though.