cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy s7 (4k screen)

omega53
Explorer
What do you guys think the odds of the S7 being compatible with the Gear VR are? If it ends up using the SnapDragon 820, I can see a bunch of issues arising. I dream of a 4k VR experience and hope the S7 fulfills it... Rumor is the S7 will launch in March.
28 REPLIES 28

motorsep
Rising Star
Rumor has it that S7 will not have 4k screen.

Oleksiis
Honored Guest
Depending on rumors I'm pretty sure there will be no 4K in 2016 (at least on Galaxy S7, maybe Note 6 will have it).

xBoggart
Protege
And to be frank, a phone display doesn't need to have a 4K display unless ofcourse it's made to go inside a VR Headset... :roll: I was so much looking forward to try VR with 4K display to see how much difference does it really make!

mduffor
Protege
At this point in time, a 4k screen would be horrible for the GearVR. The current processors simply can't fill that many pixels. The next generation needs to focus on rendering rock-solid 60fps with more polys and less heat. Then when that is under control, we need foveated rendering, which will require support at the GPU and OpenGL level. Then once foveated rendering is working, you can bring in the 4k screens where you render high pixel density directly where your eyeball is looking, and have a lower res rendering for the rest of the 4k pixels, and not cause the entire thing to burst into flames on your face, or run at the speed of a potatoe.

Cheers,
mduffor

DrumAddict
Honored Guest
Yea what he said.... :shock:

mosley
Honored Guest
"mduffor" wrote:
At this point in time, a 4k screen would be horrible for the GearVR. The current processors simply can't fill that many pixels. The next generation needs to focus on rendering rock-solid 60fps with more polys and less heat. Then when that is under control, we need foveated rendering, which will require support at the GPU and OpenGL level. Then once foveated rendering is working, you can bring in the 4k screens where you render high pixel density directly where your eyeball is looking, and have a lower res rendering for the rest of the 4k pixels, and not cause the entire thing to burst into flames on your face, or run at the speed of a potatoe.

Cheers,
mduffor

that is not necessarily so. 4k screen doesnt automatically mean that stuff would have to be rendered in actual 4k resolution. you could still render at lower (then interpolated) resolution while still profiting from a giant improvement in regards to screen door effect.

i would bet that already now, many of the games are most probably not rendered at full 2k resolution.

the improvement in screen door would still be huge.

and for video playback, its said that even the current gen devices would be able to handle that (actually in the cinema, that would end up being something significantly lower than full 4k anyway, but noticeably higher than what we have now). even a slight increase in resolution there plus the massively reduced screen door would make the cinema experience a lot better than it already is.

Oleksiis
Honored Guest
"mosley" wrote:
that is not necessarily so. 4k screen doesnt automatically mean that stuff would have to be rendered in actual 4k resolution. you could still render at lower (then interpolated) resolution while still profiting from a giant improvement in regards to screen door effect.

Indeed! All we need is just a smaller pixel size. We don't need a content rendered in 4K. Just a smaller pixels. And current hardware can easily handle 4K displays as we can see this on Sony Z5 Premium (this device works perfectly with 4K display rendrering 1080p content on it).

mduffor
Protege
Possibly. But with a 4k screen you are still using up 4x the memory of a 2k screen, and rendering to 4k times the pixels, which is going to tax your GPU and generate more heat. Upscaling is not free. Yes, it would reduce the screendoor effect, but personally I don't even consider the screendoor effect to be the largest problem on the GearVR at the moment.

I think we'll be getting 4k screens for VR in 2017, but probably not this year.

Cheers!

mptp
Explorer
I'm with mduffor on this one. The screen door effect is a bit of a bummer, but the fact that all the content is either super ugly or highly stylised is hurting mobile VR.
50k polys, 100 draw calls and no real-time lighting is genuinely limiting creatively. That needs to be solved before we start working on incremental improvements like resolution increases.
Melbourne-based creative technologist. I flit between experimental AR/VR experiences, audiovisual electronics and full-stack web development. http://www.lachansleight.io