cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear VR S6 Screen Mirroring / Chromecast problem

Gawson
Explorer
New Gear VR with Galaxy S6 has big problem - casting screen does not work while in VR mode. Or rather it works for 2 seconds. Gear VR with Note 4 was working flawlessly with Chromecast. Now neither Gear VR with S6 nor Note 4 won't work. The same issue. It's running smooth about 2 seconds and than freezes (or rather displaying 1 frame from time to time). This screwed up out project 😞 depending on screen mirroring. I've tested builtin screen mirroring from Samsung with AllShare Cast Dongle and with latest SUHD TV. Same issue there. Exactly the same problems and behaviour as using Chromecast. It is probably related with some Oculus software update.
Mirrorop is working fine but with very low resolution.
38 REPLIES 38

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I've been using 'Gear VR Innovators Edition' for S6 / S6 Edge with one S6 Edge (Android 5.1.1).
Like reported by many, I also can't succeed with mirroring to any recent Samsung Smart TV!
Once starting VR mode (both at standard and developer modes) image on TV freezes just after about 2 seconds.
If I simulate taking off the headset with my finger on the headset sensor, it just runs for another two seconds and the image freezes again immediately after.

Because some people reported it to work with Note 4 and first 'Gear VR Innovators Edition' headset, I decided to give it a try and since it is quite cheaper I bought the latest Gear VR headset for S6 / S6 Edge / Note 5 / S6 Edge+.

Then I went to a local store to test it with the Samsung Smart TVs there, and guess what...
It still doesn't work!!!... 😞

Tell me about your experiences. Is there any Gear VR / Smartphone combination that currently works?
Can't find any official info/comment online from Samsung or Oculus about this issue...

What may have went wrong after the first available kit with Note 4?
Which component may have introduced the fault and when/where to expect a fix?
- Oculus software for Galaxy smartphones?
- Android 5.1.1 update for Samsung supported smartphones?
- Any Gear VR firmware update???

Please, any help would be welcome!
This behavior is very annoying and Samsung/Oculus silence really disturbing... 😞

Due to my project specific constrains I'm not interested in any software mirroring solution like MirrorOp.

Thanks,
Fernando

Dbiro
Honored Guest
"iteleport" wrote:
Thanks for the quick tip on MirrorOp.

I've just tried it here on GearVR-S6-Win8 (one notebook on the network) and the best setup considering latency and visual quality for me was:

- JPEG codec (it's truly necessary or just crashes)
- Quality Low
- Max Resolution Very High
- Remote control disabled
- Audio disabled

Setting up Max Resolution from High to Very High reduced a little the FPS but it pays off for the experience of outside viewers, which can read well all texts that are readable in the VR headset as well.

Then I setup a HDMI cable from notebook to the TV (720p max res) and duplicated screens. It worked pretty decently. I'd say 17-20FPS for the outsiders with great visual quality. The experience on the headset is 60-75FPS at all times.
No doubt putting the Chromecast to work with GearVR just like it does with everything else, very smooth, would be much better. But for now it's the best we've got :geek:

How do you set the JPEG Codec, Remote control disable and audio disable? The only settings I can see are the quality and Max resolution. I have both the mirrorOp sender and receiver working well out of VR mode. But as soon as I put on the gear VR, I get the same problem as on my Chromecast.

vir2oso
Honored Guest
I am having this same issue. I can cast cardboard apps all day long to my chromecast from my phone, but as soon as i try to cast a gear vr app, i get maybe one frame every 5-10 seconds.

Unit040
Honored Guest
Experiencing the same issues with the Gear VR (new version) and the S6 on a Chromecast 2.

It streams for 2 seconds, then freezes. Sometimes it even drops the connection with the Chromecast. Happens when changing to a heavy scene in the application (build in Unity3D)

Still no real solution available?

MirrorOP seems to drop the connection at the same moment as the Chromecast.

Anonymous
Not applicable
So we know it still does not work with S6... 😞
Anyone tested if it works with S6 Edge+ or Note 5 with new Gear VR?

Can we successfully mirror to Chromecast or Samsung SmartTVs with these devices, at acceptable frame rates?

SlaughtrHousJak
Honored Guest
MirrorOp Sender for Galaxy (Note 5) and MirrorOp Receiver for windows seems to work. The receiver is free, but the sender license is $10. Its free to try with pop up reminders. Sound also seems to work. As far as streaming to Chromecast, I haven't found a solution yet. I'll edit this with a short video shortly.

SlaughtrHousJak
Honored Guest
"SlaughtrHousJak" wrote:
MirrorOp Sender for Galaxy (Note 5) and MirrorOp Receiver for windows seems to work. The receiver is free, but the sender license is $10. Its free to try with pop up reminders. Sound also seems to work. As far as streaming to Chromecast, I haven't found a solution yet. I'll edit this with a short video shortly.

Hope this helps some. Not sure how long the unlicensed version will go before/if it shuts down or large pop ups block you out.

karts
Honored Guest
Strange thing is, that when using the Note 4 and the Gear, streaming with chromecast works, The S6 does not. Any ideas why?

GotSeb
Honored Guest
I'm having the same issue with my note 5. Pretty frustrating..

god1972
Protege
http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?s=&showt ... p=46854986

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge (5.1.1) + Gear VR (SM-R321) = Chromecast

For starters include 'Developer Options', 'Settings' -> 'About device' -> and quickly press 7 times at point 'Build Number'.
Now, there is a section in the settings 'Developer Options', there are looking for the item 'Simulate additional display', select eg: "720x480mdpi".
a small window appears on the screen of the phone (ext. display on the TV screen it will not be visible). Done!

Annex "Chromecast" include "Cast screen / sound '. Insert the phone into the points. Guests enjoyed with you. Then, of course, you need to disable dop.displey there where included.

The problem is, my phone version of the Edge, or glasses SM-R321? I do not know. On the Internet, the responses did not find one, have long mock telephone. I would like a simpler version, well bezrybe cancer and pike.

I hope this helps someone.