cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear VR not coming to Canada any time soon :(

jordonp
Honored Guest
Having finally received the needed update on my Note 4, I was really excited that the launch was imminent in Canada, but this post on Reddit by an Oculus employee from 4 days ago says it will not be coming to Canada in the near future.

http://www.reddit.com/r/GearVR/comments/2tvhxd/gear_vr_now_available_from_bestbuy_xpost_roculus/co2z...

This is very disappointing, why can't Samsung just allow shipping across the border now that all the major carriers in Canada have released the update? Or at least tell us it isn't coming to Canada soon before people like me bought the Note 4 solely for Gear VR.
39 REPLIES 39

energycollecter
Honored Guest
When are you going?

dignifiedweb
Protege
Does anyone know if there is any chance that we'll eventually get the required update on our phones automatically? A couple weeks ago, I received an update for my Samsung Note 4 and I can't see anything on my phone that would indicate I have the required update for gear vr support.

I guess a better question: Does anyone know if there's something we can definitively look for on our phones that guarantees we can get Gear VR to work without rooting? (Firmware number, software that launches or installs, Milk VR, VR wizard, etc.)

Edit: I forgot to mention I'm also Canadian and don't mind importing a Gear VR as long as it works stock.
Check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Man Overboard! - Try the DK2 Version if you don't have a Gear VR

HomerS66
Expert Protege
"dignifiedweb" wrote:
Does anyone know if there is any chance that we'll eventually get the required update on our phones automatically? A couple weeks ago, I received an update for my Samsung Note 4 and I can't see anything on my phone that would indicate I have the required update for gear vr support.

I guess a better question: Does anyone know if there's something we can definitively look for on our phones that guarantees we can get Gear VR to work without rooting? (Firmware number, software that launches or installs, Milk VR, VR wizard, etc.)

Edit: I forgot to mention I'm also Canadian and don't mind importing a Gear VR as long as it works stock.

I think at the latest it will work when Android 5.0 is rolled out but should already work with android 4.4.4 Builtnumber "ANK4" for Snapdragon version.

energycollecter
Honored Guest
I thought and have read that the last update was for the Gear VR and that the 5.0 lollipop is still to come. Once again I am just posting what I have read and that is that the last update is all u need (no rooting needed now).

If I am wrong please someone let me know.

energycollecter
Honored Guest
HomerS66 - that is what I have read as well

dignifiedweb
Protege
I think at the latest it will work when Android 5.0 is rolled out but should already work with android 4.4.4 Builtnumber "ANK4" for Snapdragon version.

Thanks, so I am guessing I have the Snapdragon model. It's really confusing trying to find out what model you have. My build number is SM-N910W8, guess I'm out of luck for a while, so I'll be holding off on purchasing till I receive another update. I don't personally see the value in rooting my phone, I'd sooner order another DK2.
Check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Man Overboard! - Try the DK2 Version if you don't have a Gear VR

HomerS66
Expert Protege
"dignifiedweb" wrote:

Thanks, so I am guessing I have the Snapdragon model. It's really confusing trying to find out what model you have. My build number is SM-N910W8, guess I'm out of luck for a while, so I'll be holding off on purchasing till I receive another update. I don't personally see the value in rooting my phone, I'd sooner order another DK2.

You have the Snapdragon version, what is the builtnumber of your Android version. Does it end with "ANK4"?

http://www.galaxynote4manual.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4-model-numbers-explained-region/

dignifiedweb
Protege
You have the Snapdragon version, what is the builtnumber of your Android version. Does it end with "ANK4"?/quote]

Thanks for the info. My build number is "KTU84P.N910W8VLU1AOA1"

jordonp
Honored Guest
The Canadian Gear VR update came out at the end of January. It does not end in ANK4. My phone is from Rogers with model number SN-N910W8 and build number N910W8VLU1AOA1. So yours should be good too.

If you want to check you can download the Oculus mobile sdk and try installing and running one of the Gear VR apks. If you don't have the required update it will say an update is required when you try to run it.

dignifiedweb
Protege
"jordonp" wrote:
The Canadian Gear VR update came out at the end of January. It does not end in ANK4. My phone is from Rogers with model number SN-N910W8 and build number N910W8VLU1AOA1. So yours should be good too.

If you want to check you can download the Oculus mobile sdk and try installing and running one of the Gear VR apks. If you don't have the required update it will say an update is required when you try to run it.

Thank you! I will have to try downloading the SDK, that's a really good idea! Part of me wonders if Best Buy 'merica will ship to Best Buy Canada. I have yet to ask Best Buy that as well.

Thanks again!