cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear vr consumer - not impressed

IfeelSick
Honored Guest
I bought the Note 4 Gear VR in March 2015 and i felt totatly immursed in it. I just bought the note 5 consumer and it feels like my face is too far from the lens so it feels like i am looking in through a round window into my virtual world.

Have Oculus ruined the experience by making the inside of the Gear VR deeper by making it better for people with glasses? It just doesn't feel the same anymore.

Is the note 4 headset the best Gear VR experience?

Thanks for reading
33 REPLIES 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah, you are totally right about that. Note 4 with IE has the best FOV.

IfeelSick
Honored Guest
I wish they would of made the consumer version the same as the note 4 innovator. Does anyone know if the note 5 will fit into the note 4 innovator headset?

If not i will sell my week old note 5 and buy the note 4 and try to get hold of the hesdset also.

Thanks.

furtin
Protege
I honestly think that the consumer edition should come free with every phone (just like with the S7). The quality of the foam, the white interior (what where they thinking?!?) the light leaks (oh, those damned light leaks), everything isn't even worth 50€, IMO.

The IE with the Note 4 was in a class of its own.

I completely modified the CE now with another, selfmade foam, sprayed it black and taped the heck of the light leaking issues. It still has a shitty FOV and the touchpad is even worse with this dumb circlenub that sits in the middle where you are supposed to swipe....
"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."

IfeelSick
Honored Guest
"furtin" wrote:
I honestly think that the consumer edition should come free with every phone (just like with the S7). The quality of the foam, the white interior (what where they thinking?!?) the light leaks (oh, those damned light leaks), everything isn't even worth 50€, IMO.

The IE with the Note 4 was in a class of its own.

I completely modified the CE now with another, selfmade foam, sprayed it black and taped the heck of the light leaking issues. It still has a shitty FOV and the touchpad is even worse with this dumb circlenub that sits in the middle where you are supposed to swipe....

I couldnt agree more. I just sold my Note 5 and consumer vr headset. I am going to replace them with the note 4 innovator headset and looking to buy the note 4. The note 4 lacks power but makes up for it with being completly immursive.

kingkong90210
Honored Guest
Agree with all the above comments

But if u go to note 4 u lose procesising powe

If u want more fov and u don.t wear glasses then remove the foam bit and stick on some thinner foam, this will bring your eyes closer to the lens

Secondly if u then see the edges of the plastic shroud then u can increase fov further by hacking the shroud and making the hole wider horizontally. The note 5 has a larger screen Dendy S6 but the consumer VR was designed to only use the screen space got the X6 has.

U can see my posts for how to hack the hole and make it bigger.

With the hole cut bigger the field of view is limited by the edge of the software display so therefore the field of view will be at least as big as what you experience with the Note 4

Of course Samsung should have designed it properly in the first place so that us consumers don't have to cut up l headsets to utilise the full screen space and fov of the note5 and lens system

IfeelSick
Honored Guest
Hi, are you saying the Gear VR consumer only uses 5.1" out of 5.7" of the note 5?

The foam on the Gear VR is quite thin already so replacing it with something else wouldnt help. The innovator design is alot better and i will be going back to the note 4.

Do you think its a mistake to go back to the note 4. It still must run some games and apps and be supported by developers.

Thanks

kingkong90210
Honored Guest
Yes
I think they just use the same software for note5 and s6.

And have the hardware set for s6 screen. So as a note 5 user u end up seeing a cropped version of a slightly larger image.

The lens is capable of seeing the whole note 5 screen though - if u cut up the shroud like i did.

To me it seems like they started off with the intention of making two headsets one for the note 5 and one for the S6 and then cost-cutting got in the way and it S6 became the default hardware but they still carried over the capable lens which would have worked with a note 5 headset as i suspect there wouldn.t be any cost saving in the lens

IfeelSick
Honored Guest
I just sold the Note 5 and returning the consumer gear vr. Looking for a cheap note 4 as i just bought the Note 4 innovator. I hope my memory is correct and the Note 4 was the better Gear VR experience.

Absolutely bonkers.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3