cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to run the Android "VR" Apps

leadco
Honored Guest
Does anyone know how to get the Gear VR to load the apps on the playstore like the apps that were made for cardboard, without rooting or forcing usb to not lock in? Be cool to have more content. My kids like the roller coaster made for cardboard.
7 REPLIES 7

Evol
Honored Guest
For those of us that don't want to void the KNOX warranty. I found a way to play cardboard apps without root or risk of damaging the USB. It may take a little practice but it's easy. You just don't plug the usb all the way into the port leave it in the port but with the phone slid closer to the clip side than the usb side. If you want to switch to Oculus just slide the phone onto the usb better and it loads. Warning though cardboard apps are very nauseating.

JCat
Expert Protege
Just was tinkering around with a few of the better cardboard apps on the Gear VR. Going back to those after playing around with them weeks ago on cardboard, is quite a step down. There's a dozen or so decent apps to try out, as long as you move around very slowly because you will not get that silky smoothness like you do with a native Gear VR app. I'm majorly spoiled now.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Evol" wrote:
For those of us that don't want to void the KNOX warranty. I found a way to play cardboard apps without root or risk of damaging the USB. It may take a little practice but it's easy. You just don't plug the usb all the way into the port leave it in the port but with the phone slid closer to the clip side than the usb side. If you want to switch to Oculus just slide the phone onto the usb better and it loads. Warning though cardboard apps are very nauseating.

You can actually just place it inside/behind of the usb and the phone even clicks in, happened by accident.
I wouldn't advise it though, could mess with your usb male adapter and maybe scratch your phone since who knows what plastic is up against it. (doubtful plastic can scratch gorilla glass4)
I was able to use a google VR app just fine, but I say "a" because I bailed. It makes you so sick and the lag...
Don't torture your kids with that! 😜

AspenMan
Explorer
If you're rooted check this out: https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=18134

Evol
Honored Guest
"HeadTrip" wrote:
You can actually just place it inside/behind of the usb and the phone even clicks in, happened by accident.

I was also doing this before, however this is not ideal as it will with time certainly damage the male usb on the Gear VR. I found that if you plug the usb in but not all the way into the phone it works without doing harm to the male usb.

I actually think this is better than the rooted freeze/quarantine method as it removes that step every time you want to switch between Oculus/cardboard apps.

nykwan
Honored Guest
I wouldnt' bother. I tried and they are on a lower quality level than the Gear VR stuff. I made me kinda dizzy trying the cardboard demo stuff out. I never get dizzy with the Gear VR material.

hoaivu1508
Honored Guest
The is a solution, Play Cardboard apps on Gear VR - (No Root Requires)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kunkunsoft.cardboardappforgearvr