cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note 4 model confusion

13thFloor
Honored Guest
I'm a little confused on what phone is available in each region and which is the best to try and get.

I know there is two versions of the Note 4. Why manufacturers do this especially when they targeting a major release on a specific model of theirs is beyond me!! But can anyone confirm what model is the suggested one to get and if anyone has one what is it?

Very keen to take the plunge and get one otherwise it's a LG G3 for £299 and maybe a Carl Zeiss VR One or something else.
Intel i920@4ghz, 12gb ram, Windows 7 Nvidia GTX 970 4gb, 120gb SSD, OR Dev Kit 1&2
66 REPLIES 66

Anonymous
Not applicable
I believe you are supposed to have the Snapdragon one, which should be the case for all major US carriers.

Other versions may not work fully. I would be very careful if you are trying to buy "unlocked" or international phones as they may not be a good experience.

This is an incredible statement from an Oculus rep.

If my Exynos N910U never works with the Gear VR I purchased on launch I will be furious with Samsung and Oculus for being misled. GearVR was always touted as a 'Note 4' only experience, never was it advertised as a 'US only Note 4 experience' or 'Snapdragon only Note 4 experience'.

I'm already frustrated with a $200 (+shipping) paperweight, this might just send me over the top.

HomerS66
Expert Protege
"Philpot" wrote:

If my Exynos N910U never works with the Gear VR I purchased on launch I will be furious with Samsung and Oculus for being misled. GearVR was always touted as a 'Note 4' only experience, never was it advertised as a 'US only Note 4 experience' or 'Snapdragon only Note 4 experience'.

I'm already frustrated with a $200 (+shipping) paperweight, this might just send me over the top.

Gear VR will work with both Exynos and Snapdragon but right now the Snapdragon version performs better with it, as it was developed alongside with it. Samsung hasn't released the update for Exynos yet, maybe because they are tweaking it so that the Exynos version performs as good.

clone
Explorer
"HomerS66" wrote:
"Philpot" wrote:

Gear VR will work with both Exynos and Snapdragon but right now the Snapdragon version performs better with it, as it was developed alongside with it. Samsung hasn't released the update for Exynos yet, maybe because they are tweaking it so that the Exynos version performs as good.

yea i bet they HAVE to tweak it before public release because it would be embrassing for them if the home-made exynos (which by the way is ALWAYS advertised by samsung as the more powerfull and most advanced soc) would perform much worse than their usa made "alternative". :oops:
and in vr performance IS a big factor... :lol:
...why so serious?

HomerS66
Expert Protege
"clone" wrote:
"HomerS66" wrote:

yea i bet they HAVE to tweak it before public release because it would be embrassing for them if the home-made exynos (which by the way is ALWAYS advertised by samsung as the more powerfull and most advanced soc) would perform much worse than their usa made "alternative". :oops:

The CPU of the 5433 Exynos is more powerful than of the S805 but the Mali GPU is the weak link, that's why Samsung is developing its own inhouse GPU probably sheduled for next year.

clone
Explorer
"HomerS66" wrote:
"clone" wrote:
"HomerS66" wrote:

The CPU of the 5433 Exynos is more powerful than of the S805 but the Mali GPU is the weak link, that's why Samsung is developing its own inhouse GPU probably sheduled for next year.

thats what their public relation guy would also comment 😉
but you're absolutely right, thats the technical explenation :geek:
at the end of the day the qualcom soc is the better choice for this purpose and all software tweaking won't help here...
...why so serious?

bkai
Honored Guest
"HomerS66" wrote:
"Philpot" wrote:

This is undoubtedly true but the point is that both companies never once made this clear. In fact I'd go as far as to say they lied by omission. They said "Note 4", I have a Note 4... with 2 unique models of the same phone and one not yet ready for Gear VR, they most definitely should have made that perfectly clear. I'm quite angry as well but haven't yet decided what I'm going to do about it.

Evol
Honored Guest
Honestly they did make it clear they didn't launch it anywhere except the US... in the US we only have the Snapdragon model. 😉

HomerS66
Expert Protege
"bkai" wrote:

This is undoubtedly true but the point is that both companies never once made this clear. In fact I'd go as far as to say they lied by omission. They said "Note 4", I have a Note 4... with 2 unique models of the same phone and one not yet ready for Gear VR, they most definitely should have made that perfectly clear. I'm quite angry as well but haven't yet decided what I'm going to do about it.

I agree that the communication could definately be better but i also agree with Evol that the only country where the Gear VR is released so far, is the US and there only the Snapdragon version is available. When Samsung releases the Gear VR in other countries presumable at the end of january/early february, also the Exynos version should work with the Gear VR then.

bkai
Honored Guest
"HomerS66" wrote:
"bkai" wrote:

I agree that the communication could definately be better but i also agree with Evol that the only country where the Gear VR is released so far, is the US and there only the Snapdragon version is available. When Samsung releases the Gear VR in other countries presumable at the end of january/early february, also the Exynos version should work with the Gear VR then.

Ok... I'll admit that reasoning fits, but not very well in an age where anyone can buy pretty much anything from any country and have it shipped to any other country. 🙂

On a different note: does anyone know of any N910U firmware that works? I was considering trying the Taiwan ANK7. I should be able to flash that fine on my Note 4 right? They're both N910U.

jreicher
Honored Guest
Regarding the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 N910H, it will NOT work out of the box. I can verify this personally, unfortunately.

When plugged into the Gear VR, it recognizes everything but-- after installing a small patch, doesn't complete the installation of Oculus Home. Instead you are told to wait for an update.

Very irritating.