cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy O (O=Oculus?)

omega53
Explorer
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/sam ... ign=buffer

Welcome to the world of Android. With so many available devices, it’s a world of choice and confusion, and Samsung thrives in it. The Korean giant has been notorious for releasing phone after phone, even though the majority of the company’s sales come from the Galaxy S and Galaxy Note series.
Reports indicate that Samsung is prepping a new line of smartphones called the Galaxy O. Here’s everything we know so far.
Updated on 8-19-2015 by Robert Nazarian: Added in news that the Galaxy O could be focused around Virtual Reality.
‘O’ is for Oculus?
Oculus will be hosting a developer conference called Connect2 from September 23 through September 25. The company is expected to announce the availability of the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset, but Gene Munster believes that an announcement with Samsung will also take place. Samsung has already partnered with Oculus for the Gear VR, so another collaboration wouldn’t be surprising.
Related: Open up a whole new (virtual) world with Samsung’s $200 Gear VR headset
Munster predicts that one of two things will happen: Samsung will launch the Galaxy O line of smartphones, which will be centered around VR, or the company will announce an all-in-one wireless VR headset similar to the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive. Munster believes the latter is less likely, though. Launching a phone that works with Oculus makes a lot of sense, since the “O” in “Galaxy O” could stand for “Oculus.”
Assuming this report is true, we now know why Samsung didn’t announce a new Gear VR headset for the Galaxy Note 5 during its Unpacked event.
Rumors of an ‘O’ series start
In mid-August, sources of Sam Mobile revealed that Samsung is readying a Galaxy O series. There are two phones already in development with the model numbers of SM-G550 and SM-G600. It’s possible the G550 will be called the Galaxy O5 and the G600 will be the Galaxy O7.
Related: Hands on: Samsung Galaxy Note 5
Unfortunately we have no idea what the “O” series will represent. Other than the Galaxy S and Galaxy Note, Samsung already offers the Galaxy A, Galaxy E, Galaxy J, and Galaxy Z. Since there is no rhyme or reason to Samsung’s choice of letters, it’s hard to speculate what the O series will be.
The Galaxy A represents budget-friendly premium devices with metal, and the Galaxy E is an even more affordable version of the Galaxy A. The Galaxy J is considered entry-level.
All of these devices are Android except for the Galaxy Z, which runs the company’s own Tizen OS.
Then there are a bunch of other variants we won’t even mention because it’s unclear if Samsung will continue to produce phones under those names.
One has to wonder what Samsung is thinking here. While most of these models appear in different parts of the world, it’s still confusing for consumers. It’s also difficult for Samsung to support all of these devices with software updates. Why not offer one or two flagships — one mid-level, and one entry-level phone — each year?
Related: Hands on: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus
Unfortunately we cannot answer that question because Samsung is the kind of company that likes to throw things out there to see what happens. That’s exactly what happened with the Galaxy Note series. The company took a chance on it, and now the majority of phones are well over 5 inches. Maybe the Galaxy O will be the next big thing.
When will we see the Galaxy O? It’s possible that Samsung might unveil it next month at IFA. Stay tuned.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/sam ... z3jMJ91v69
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook
5 REPLIES 5

HomerS66
Expert Protege
I'm already getting kechup for my hat ready which i'm gonna eat when that is true.

While this has its advantages when it comes to specific updates which only target VR and could be released faster to the Galaxy O phone, i could imagine that this move could hurt future Gear VR sales quite a bit especially when the Samsung marketing blitz starts.

For the average Joe who already wants to buy the S6/S6edge/S6e+/Note 5 (which is a multible millions userbase) and after testing the consumer Gear VR in a phone shop, for an impulse buy it would have been only an investment of 199$ to also get the Gear VR. Now the average Joe who wants to buy one of Samsung flagships would need to buy another phone (Galaxy O) plus the Gear VR.

Only the VR enthusiasts would be willing to buy 2 phones to get high-end mobile VR, therefore the possible future consumerbase would be smaller. And if the Galaxy O is as powerful as the Galaxy S or Note line, it would be a competition to Samsungs previous flagships and hurt these sales but would mean at the same time mean more production costs and redundance.
If the Galaxy O on the other hand is not a real phone to save costs like an optimised mediaplayer/ipod for VR, then the Gear VR could also be a standalone device to save even more costs.

dignifiedweb
Protege
"HomerS66" wrote:
I'm already getting kechup for my hat ready which i'm gonna eat when that is true.

If this forum had a like button, I'd give you as many likes as I could for this comment!
Check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Man Overboard! - Try the DK2 Version if you don't have a Gear VR

HomerS66
Expert Protege
"dignifiedweb" wrote:
"HomerS66" wrote:

If this forum had a like button, I'd give you as many likes as I could for this comment!

Haha thanks i'll take them 🙂

cybereality
Grand Champion
"dignifiedweb" wrote:

The new forum will have a like button. I very much like likes.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

dignifiedweb
Protege
"cybereality" wrote:
The new forum will have a like button. I very much like likes.

Sweet! 🙂
Check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Man Overboard! - Try the DK2 Version if you don't have a Gear VR