cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Submit error: APK install location should be `auto` (android:installLocation in AndroidManifest.xml)

iristavr
Explorer
Uploading a build, I am getting the error: APK install location should be `auto` (android:installLocation in AndroidManifest.xml).

Using UE4 to do the build. That setting is indeed set. Inspecting the generated .apk confirms that the correct value is there.

The same build settings were verifying fine a few days ago.

Seems there's a bug in the upload verification.
4 REPLIES 4

NentGroupTechno
Honored Guest
You get that error when building in Unity if you have not set the install location to automatic in player settings. I'm not sure if UE4 has an equivalent option.

william_wemesh
Explorer
Are you sure that the correct value is in the built .apk?
I'm using UE4 as well, and it seems like there's some code in the GearVR plugin's UPL that overrides your project's settings, and sets the installLocation to "internal only" when you build.

it's even in the Oculus fork of the Unreal Engine (https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/blob/release/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/GearVR/Source/GearVR/GearVR_APL.xml)

If that is what's causing your problem, you just have to find the code below in your GearVR_APL.xml and change "internalOnly" to "auto"

<if condition="bGearDistribution">

<true>

<!-- distribution builds only install internally -->
<addAttribute tag="manifest" name="android:installLocation" value="internalOnly"/>

cgiteach
Explorer

Are you sure that the correct value is in the built .apk?
I'm using UE4 as well, and it seems like there's some code in the GearVR plugin's UPL that overrides your project's settings, and sets the installLocation to "internal only" when you build.

it's even in the Oculus fork of the Unreal Engine (https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/blob/release/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/GearVR/Source/GearVR/GearVR_APL.xml)

If that is what's causing your problem, you just have to find the code below in your GearVR_APL.xml and change "internalOnly" to "auto"

<if condition="bGearDistribution">

<true>

<!-- distribution builds only install internally -->
<addAttribute tag="manifest" name="android:installLocation" value="internalOnly"/>

This is indeed what is happening. I had the same issue with deploying using UE4 when Oculus started enforcing the auto setup. 

You can find GearVR_APL.xml in the engine folder with a search and follow the above. 

Thanks you for this, the issue will probably get fixed soon enough by Epic.

boonefb
Protege
The issue should be fixed in the next release of UE4.