cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18MP (4800x3840) display

kernow
Heroic Explorer
I think this is a follow-up on Zenbane's earlier post in March.
The display is 4800x3840px. Looks like they were aiming at about 1/2 the eye's "resolution" (not really an accurate word, in the computer sense, for the eye).

Google and LG unveil world’s highest-resolution OLED on-glass VR display
Android Authority - C Scott Brown (about 1 week ago)
https://www.androidauthority.com/google-lg-vr-display-announcement-868295/

This is certainly something we could look forward to with displays in the future.

Link to Zenbane's earlier post
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/63040/google-targeting-3182-resolution-per-eye

13 REPLIES 13

LZoltowski
Champion
High res displays are great, but the hardware needed to run those is super expensive, for VR to survive it needs to be affordable, I think this Billions of Pixels and 200-degree FOV is unrealistic for this gen, maybe in a few years time.

Top priorities for second gen VR should be
  • Increased Comfort and decreased weight
  • Optics (elimination of glare and chromatic aberration)
  • Mobility
  • Ease of setup
  • Reliability
  • Better FOV, 140 degrees sounds about right for this gen, 200 is pushing it imho
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

High res displays are great, but the hardware needed to run those is super expensive, for VR to survive it needs to be affordable, I think this Billions of Pixels and 200-degree FOV is unrealistic for this gen, maybe in a few years time.

• Mobility
  • Ease of setup
  • Reliability
  • Better FOV, 140 degrees sounds about right for this gen, 200 is pushing it imho

+ better touch controllers
+ increased resolution
+ wireless

And obviously copy/paste the optics from Oculus GO to Oculus Rift CV2! 🙂
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

MowTin
Expert Trustee

With a higher resolution screen can you just upscale the image? Isn't part of the problem that you can see the individual pixels? 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup. We won't see these in a headset for some time, probably 2020-2022.

kernow
Heroic Explorer

MowTin said:
 With a higher resolution screen can you just upscale the image? Isn't part of the problem that you can see the individual pixels? 

If these screens were available, all that we could really do at this point in time is upscale. Even if we had a computer farm to do the graphics, we don't have any consumer cable tech that can handle both the resolution and frame rate. So, yeah, we're pretty much we would be limited to upscaling. But the only real advantage will be, like you said, reduction of screendoor.

LZoltowski
Champion

MowTin said:

Upscaling is a hit and miss and introduces a plethora of other artefacts, it also doesn't like fast motion. Upscaling's biggest issues is a subtle ring effect in contrast areas.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion

• Mobility
  • Ease of setup
  • Reliability

+ better touch controllers
+ increased resolution
+ wireless

And obviously copy/paste the optics from Oculus GO to Oculus Rift CV2! 🙂

Yeah forgot about touch controllers, mind you they are still top of the class in current gen and no one has even come close, even after nearly 1.5 years .. (Knuckles is still a prototype and WMR is just awful), so I dont see them changing much for Gen2

The SDE has been noticeably reduced with the GO, by only a small res increase and change in pixel arrangement, I don't think 2nd gen has to have so many pixels, a nice bump from the GO, sure but not doubling everything.

The optics for the GO are exceptional, but from what we have seen in F8 with 140 FOV prototype I have a feeling they have something even better hiding under the reveal curtain.

Some companies developing headsets have adopted the Digital Camera Megapixel Race mentality of the early 2000's mistakenly. VR is not just about pixels. 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup, there's not much that you can do to improve the Touch controllers tbh. You COULD add tracking for those two other fingers on each hand but like I've mentioned before this is pretty pointless because developers won't use the tracking.

You could chop off those two fingers and not have many problems apart from weakening your grip or making a fist. We simply hardly ever use the things.

LZoltowski
Champion

snowdog said:

You COULD add tracking for those two other fingers on each hand but like I've mentioned before this is pretty pointless because developers won't use the tracking.

I DISAGREE!

What if it's a tea party simulator and you need to raise your pinky when holding the teacup?!!!

Be kind to one another 🙂