cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st Ever Experience with VR -Oculus Rift - Comments from new DK2 user & Questions posed to CV1 users

comixcroz
Level 5
First off, I'll preface this by letting everyone know that I am a video game fanatic and have been playing games since the original NES launch.  Most of us from this era have been dreaming of VR our entire lives.  Personally, I followed VR closely but never jumped in with the DKs, mainly because I wanted my first experience to blow my friggin mind.  I absolutely love the theme park experiences at Disney World and Universal Studios.  3-D has always been a fave of mine.  I'm basically a big kid.  My expectations for VR were very, very high.  

I'm 35 years old and never had the chance to experience VR until last night.  I have a pre-order placed for my CV1 but don't expect to get it for a while. May at the earliest.    I already had a suitable PC, so my only expenses in VR are going to be the Headsets themselves.  High end GPUs and processors are in my wheelhouse and would have continued to be with or without VR.  I have some vision problems and I've been recently getting paranoid that the HMDs could not work for me entirely because of it.  As a result, my impatience got the best of me.  Once I learned that you could play the new games on DK2 and one popped up at a fair price, I decided to jump on it.  If my eyes were going to be the issue, I will have to cancel.  It just arrived in the mail yesterday.  

Set up:
I had Oculus Home pre-installed.  Already have an X-Box One controller set up.   I had simply skipped the HMD set up process.  I opened Home, took my DK2 out of the box and plugged in all of the cords.  It just worked.  Blue Light immediately and in game as fast as I can install Lucky's Tale.  

First Impressions:
No problems with my eyes thank the gods! Second thought,  Mind officially blown.  I NEVER thought I would get to experience something like this in the comfort of my own home.  I was transported to a new world and I was not disappointed about a single solitary thing.   For the people that have complained about the graphics and resolution, I'm wondering now if they need some tweaks to their set up.  But even when things were slightly blurring, it still blew me away.  

Critical Impressions:
I spent several hours exploring VR.  I played 3 levels of Lucky's Tale and a good 20 minutes of Chronos and went through all of the demos and free experiences that come with.  It didn't take long for my brain to get used to the idea of VR and I quickly needed good content to satisfy me.  So the demos get old quickly.  So far Lucky's Tale was my favorite. A couple of critiques, it took a good while to find the sweet spot for me.  The text was blurry and the graphics not super sharp until i found this sweet spot.  Once I found it, it was insanely good.  That being said, it became difficult to find again once I took my headset off and tried again and I found myself compromising a bit.  The screen door effect is nothing.  Really, nothing.  It only becomes noticeable if you focus on it.  I did experience some motion sickness in Dreadhalls.  I was moving around very quickly and taking quick, tight turns so I really pushed the experience but I did feel a little weird afterwords and during.  Also, the amount of time I can play is limited to about an hour before I feel like I need a break.  In the Dreamdeck I had a few problems with tracking, particularly in the Mirror Room and the tiny cityscape scenes.  The height was a bit off.  For example, I could not see into the mirror.  I moved the tracking camera from my monitor top to my desk and it solved this problem.   Having never experienced DK2 before 1.3, I do not know if the biggest leap in VR was in software or hardware.  That being said, even if the only differences in the HMDs are simply for comfort I will be very happy.  My biggest issues with DK2 so far are the cords pulling me out of the experience and the comfort level of the HMD itself.  I feel like it could be perfect (for me) with those issues solved.    Any graphical improvement will just be icing on the cake.  

Questions to VR veterans and CV1 Owners:

1) I have two sets of lenses, how does the smaller pair of lenses affect graphics/experience?  

2) For CV1 users, is it easier to find that "sweet spot" on the CV1?

3) What is the biggest leap forward (hardware wise) from DK2 to CV1?

4) Is the biggest jump in comfort and cord management?  

5) Does everyone's mind get blown when they try this for the first time?  
6 REPLIES 6

Tinindil
Level 5

comixcroz said:

Questions to VR veterans and CV1 Owners: - I am neither and not popped my cherry yet

1) I have two sets of lenses, how does the smaller pair of lenses affect graphics/experience?  (can not comment)

2) For CV1 users, is it easier to find that "sweet spot" on the CV1? - From reviews and posts, the sweet spot is apparently larger and easier to get to; once its set up, its set up and people don't seem to need to juggle it too much

3) What is the biggest leap forward (hardware wise) from DK2 to CV1? - the cradle headrest, single cable, audio and screen (to a lesser degree i hear)

4) Is the biggest jump in comfort and cord management? - down to 1 cord, but still noticeable, but clip to run it through the back of the head; and the cradle headrest people praise a lot as to not noticing it after a while, and making it feel lighter.

5) Does everyone's mind get blown when they try this for the first time?  still a virgin

A lot like yourself an looking forward to my CV1 arriving!

RirtualVeality
Level 5
Correct me if my wrong, but i think the smaller lenses introduce more black borders.  i used the widest lenses I could as i wanted to see everything...on both the DK1 and DK2.  Don't have the CV1 yet so I can't speak to that, but as far as first experiences go: I'll never forget mine.  I actually miss posts like yours as sometimes us veterans of VR can forget how Goddamn amazing the actual experience is.  The first time I fired up VR I went straight to Half Life 2!  It was my all time favorite game to begin with so starting out in that subway car and being able to crouch and see under the seats was unbelievable to me.  Seeing Dr. Breen up on the monitors, actually having to LOOK UP to see him was so astonishing to me.  I think I played for like 4 hours...I got a little queasy the first time....but every time after that I was totally assimilated to VR.  The gloss of that first time can wear out a bit, but I still find myself looking in amazement at Elite: Dangerous, Assetto Corsa, Outlast, DOOM, Euro Truck Simulator 2....I can think back to each of those games and the little personal moments I had with them and how I wanted to tell people about what I had experienced, but realizing it'd do no good......they simply have to try VR for themselves.

DLFReporter
Level 5

"I have two sets of lenses, how does the smaller pair of lenses affect graphics/experience?"

The B lenses in the DK2 have higher cups and are supposedly made for People who are short-sighted and might want to use the DK2 without their glasses. You should try both and see what gives you the better Picture. I have to use glasses with both lenses (being -4.25 on both eyes), but I think my vision is better with the B lenses.

Ordered 20min in. -Waiting for April

comixcroz
Level 5

"I have two sets of lenses, how does the smaller pair of lenses affect graphics/experience?"

The B lenses in the DK2 have higher cups and are supposedly made for People who are short-sighted and might want to use the DK2 without their glasses. You should try both and see what gives you the better Picture. I have to use glasses with both lenses (being -4.25 on both eyes), but I think my vision is better with the B lenses.

Ok thanks for the explanation.  I've been using the B cups then I believe as they appear to be taller.  The other lenses came unused with the plastic still over top.  So maybe I will give those a try tonight.  

comixcroz
Level 5

Correct me if my wrong, but i think the smaller lenses introduce more black borders.  i used the widest lenses I could as i wanted to see everything...on both the DK1 and DK2.  Don't have the CV1 yet so I can't speak to that, but as far as first experiences go: I'll never forget mine.  I actually miss posts like yours as sometimes us veterans of VR can forget how Goddamn amazing the actual experience is.  The first time I fired up VR I went straight to Half Life 2!  It was my all time favorite game to begin with so starting out in that subway car and being able to crouch and see under the seats was unbelievable to me.  Seeing Dr. Breen up on the monitors, actually having to LOOK UP to see him was so astonishing to me.  I think I played for like 4 hours...I got a little queasy the first time....but every time after that I was totally assimilated to VR.  The gloss of that first time can wear out a bit, but I still find myself looking in amazement at Elite: Dangerous, Assetto Corsa, Outlast, DOOM, Euro Truck Simulator 2....I can think back to each of those games and the little personal moments I had with them and how I wanted to tell people about what I had experienced, but realizing it'd do no good......they simply have to try VR for themselves.

I had a similar experience in Lucky's Tale.  I was not looking forward to this game.  It just didn't look like something I would like.   But man, the game is great and the graphics are the best I've experienced so far.  You can lean in and get close to Lucky and he reacts to you doing so.  Sometimes he will even fall over as if you pushed him.  It's amazing.    There are some levels where you have to climb really high into a tower and looking up and around the world is fantastic.  It's like a god mode.  

Every part of it makes you want to reach out and touch the world.  So the Touch controllers are going to amazing as well.  

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
AS far as the sweet spot, the older Oculus utility had a set-up program for the DK2 that configured the IPD (interpupilary distance) for you. The new Oculus program doesn't have that, since the CV1 has a manual adjustment for the IPD. Without that config, you might not be able to get the DK2 perfectly set-up for you. If you have a close-to-average IPD (64 mm) then it should be fine, but for my large head (IPD of 72 mm), the DK2 is hard to use with the new Oculus runtime.

The CV1 has good integrated audio, better comfort, better lenses, higher resolution screens (two instead of one), and adjustable lens spacing. I think that IPD adjustment along with the two separate screens will make a big difference for me. The DK2 could adjust the on-screen image to line up with your eyes, but the lenses are a little too close together for me, so I can't quite get both eyes in the best position relative to the lenses. Moving the lenses and the screens themselves to align to the eyes will mean better field of view and better use of the available screen real estate.

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, 3x Samsung Evo 1TB | Startech PCIe 4x USB 3.0 | Startech PCIe 2x USB C 3.1 gen2