cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3+ Sensor Rift Users: Where Did You Set Up The Sensors?

cybereality
Grand Champion
For users who set up 3 or more sensors: where did you
set up the sensors, and what unique challenges you have run into?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
77 REPLIES 77

PixlmechStudios
Protege
I set my sensors up on the corners of my bottom 3 outside monitors using clamps. The third sensor is on top my rear right speaker. The sensor on the speaker sits a little bit higher. Dont want to do to much as I should be moving to a new place soon.g3tecya1godx.jpgrq82tss4zf63.jpgp935unhc8b7j.jpg
Asus strix mobo/Asus 1080ti strix 8gb.  Ryzen 7,custom water loop,thermaltake P5 case, 32gb Corsiar Veng RGB, samsung Evo,250,500, Velociraptor 250gb, 2TB backup, 6 display, 50inch main, KRK studio 5.1 surround.

kojack
MVP
MVP
If you don't feel like trying to draw your setups, remember I released a tool that can do it for you: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/496634#Comment_496634
It generates exact SVG diagrams of your setup, with height off the floor of each sensor, sensor distances from each other, sensor frustum shape, guardian boundary shape, play rectangle shape and tracking origin. Easy to then edit in Inkscape (free) to add furniture and stuff.
🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

l0cut15
Explorer
With the front sensor on my desk I couldn't reliably get a optimal play space. Titles positioned my ceter too close to the right wall due to the offset placement of my desk.

I decided on the top down mounting approach to make full use of my room's volume.

The setup wizard complained that I was too far from the front sensor but I skipped the error message. Tracking seems good, limited occlusion and optimal playspace achieved with some room to spare.

Yes I know that the cables are messy.

[Front Sensor with USB 3.0 Active Extension (L), and USB 3.0 directly plugged in (R)]
dstid357i8wx.jpg

[Rear Sensor at rear left of room over USB2.0 active extension]
pu6sh1ps6nz0.jpg

[Ball head with wall mount on front left]
b8c1nenligzq.jpg

[ I had to use a ball mount on the standard sensor stand to achieve the required angle]
5vnwnjbcgo5p.jpg

l0cut15
Explorer

kojack said:

If you don't feel like trying to draw your setups, remember I released a tool that can do it for you: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/496634#Comment_496634
It generates exact SVG diagrams of your setup, with height off the floor of each sensor, sensor distances from each other, sensor frustum shape, guardian boundary shape, play rectangle shape and tracking origin. Easy to then edit in Inkscape (free) to add furniture and stuff.
🙂

Hi Kojack,

The file linked seems to be unavailable? I'd been keen to try if still an option.

Thanks,
Brett

kojack
MVP
MVP
Sorry, try this one instead.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cr2lhn34v80n1jy/OculusRoomDetails_V0_2.7z?dl=0

It has support to also generate SteamVR chaperone boundaries from the oculus guardian data.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

JacobVR
Explorer
I tried to hook up my second touch sensor to a 10 ft USB 3.0 cable matters super speed extension and every time I reran the camera setup it warned me I had a slow connection....
Reverting to the cable without the extension fixed the issue...

l0cut15
Explorer
Thanks, any man page?

Running from a windows prompt on Windows 10:

C:\apps>OculusRoomDetails.exe
ovr_Create failed

C:\apps>OculusRoomDetails.exe /?
ovr_Create failed

C:\apps>OculusRoomDetails.exe --help
ovr_Create failed

l0cut15
Explorer
ok, connect headset:)

Like the idea, doesnt seem to pick up rear camera?

khwzb2f4uwdp.png

kojack
MVP
MVP
Yep, it has a bit of trouble starting sometimes, since you don't put the hmd on it may not have fully initialised by the time my program runs. Just start up oculus home and make sure the hmd is running first.

That's odd. The rear camera is there, it's on the same position as the right camera (see the red 0.00m? that means the cameras are 0.00m apart), you can see two frustums mostly overlapping. The heights look different too (you can see the heights overlapping, looks like 2.19m and 2.2m).

Have you performed a recalibration lately? This could be an example of why people had trouble with the recent oculus updates if they didn't recalibrate their setup. There's definitely three cameras there, but one has wrong values being reported.

l0cut15
Explorer
ok, re-ran room setup wizard. I end up with this.
q3mi8q5ry9bs.pngI think Might be a canidate for a 4th Sensor?