cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 hours of demo'ing the Rift

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Yesterday I took the Rift to work and spent 4 hours walking a handful of folks through several applications:

1) Dreamdeck
2) Showdown
3) Lost
4) Affected
5) Technolust
6) Luckys Tale
7) Chronos
😎 Darknet
9) Virtual Desktop

First
let me say that I sure as hell hope Oculus gets their shipping delays
sorted out mighty fast, cause virtually everyone I demo'd the Rift to is
ready to order. Second, I was happy to see how many people were huge
fans of Luckys Tale and Darknet.

The most common theme was,
"games like Luckys Tale are great for the whole family," and...
"something like Darknet will let me come home after work and just space
out for an hour in VR."

Of course, Virtual Desktop was a game
changer for just about everyone. Since I work with a technology company
it was rather mind-blowing when I was launching Microsoft Visual Studio
and writing C# code while floating "in space." I also launched the game,
Pillars of Eternity, and let folks walk around while in a Space Nebula.

One co-worker broke in my new Oculus Rift VR Cover: https://vrcover.com/

After
walking through the Manor in Affected, that cloth cover was drenched in
sweat; but the Rift itself was barely moist so hooray for the new VR
Cover adequately doing it's job.

I was surprised at how quickly the 4 hours flew by, so I plan to do more demo's in the future.

As for the PC I used, it was easy to toss my new ASUS G20CB-B15 in to a backpack (albeit slightly heavy):
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-256gb-solid-state-...

Cheers!

14 REPLIES 14

inovator
Consultant
Awsome!!!! The more people that try the rift will buy vr. The more people buy VR the better games everyone else will experience if there's a big enough market base

Greyman
Superstar
That probably serves as excellent proof that you really have to try VR to fully appreciate it.  You had probably already told your co-workers all about VR, but it would appear that few, if not any, of them had taken the plunge.  

VR companies really need to get their kit into retail outlets and/or other publicity events, to get it out to the mass market, as no amount of 2d advertising alone is going to do the job.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Greyman said:

That probably serves as excellent proof that you really have to try VR to fully appreciate it.  You had probably already told your co-workers all about VR, but it would appear that few, if not any, of them had taken the plunge.  

VR companies really need to get their kit into retail outlets and/or other publicity events, to get it out to the mass market, as no amount of 2d advertising alone is going to do the job.

Wholeheartedly agree!

I lost count of how many times people kept saying that VR is just "3D" strapped to your face. What's even worse is the fact that people can experience Google Cardboard or Gear VR now fairly easily, and they think THAT is VR.

One co-worker had been chastising me for weeks over spending $3,000 between my Oculus-ready PC and my Rift. She was one of the first to demo Dreamdeck yesterday, and she threw in the towel after the Dinosaur showed up. She lasted a whopping 2 minutes in VR total before the immersion was more than her mind could take; and before leaving declared, "okay I admit... you made an awesome investment."

Small victories, right?

But alas, the fact is that once people experience VR (especially in the Rift); they reach a new level of realization about technology, and where our world is headed. Good times o:)

Greenfire32
Heroic Explorer

Zenbane said:

Greyman said:

Wholeheartedly agree!

I lost count of how many times people kept saying that VR is just "3D" strapped to your face. What's even worse is the fact that people can experience Google Cardboard or Gear VR now fairly easily, and they think THAT is VR.

One co-worker had been chastising me for weeks over spending $3,000 between my Oculus-ready PC and my Rift. She was one of the first to demo Dreamdeck yesterday, and she threw in the towel after the Dinosaur showed up. She lasted a whopping 2 minutes in VR total before the immersion was more than her mind could take; and before leaving declared, "okay I admit... you made an awesome investment."

Small victories, right?

But alas, the fact is that once people experience VR (especially in the Rift); they reach a new level of realization about technology, and where our world is headed. Good times o:)

Sometimes all it takes is the threat of death at the hands of an extinct reptile to convince even the most stubborn of non-believers XD

Greyman
Superstar
The thought has just occurred to me, at my age it does take a while for such things, but how understanding are your bosses?  😉

if i spent 4 minutes, let alone 4 hours, not totally engrossed in my work, I suspect that I might be "blessed" with loads of time to play with my imminent Rift.  Unfortunately, I'd then have very little of the stuff I would need to buy the essential kit/software.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I text my boss the night before just for a heads up, but at this point my boss had already been over my house with his son and spent an hour in the Rift.

Work schedules and etiquette are slightly different when you work for a Tech company. Have you seen that movie, "The Internship" ? Where they go to Google and there's cool stuff like coffee shop, nap rooms, etc? Well few things are cooler than Google but where I work we have a smaller version of all that. We have 2 gyms, massage rooms, we hosts conferences, lots of parties and festivals, etc.

While I was giving Rift demo's for 4 hours, I'm sure someone was hosting a Street Fighter tournament somewhere else.

Keep in mind that I consider myself "on the clock" 24/7. There's time for play and there's time for serious business. There have been times where I'm pushing out an enterprise solution in to Production, so I just stay at work (even sleep there).

Work hard, play hard kinda thing :#

But it was a Friday and I probably wont do it again for a few weeks. If I tried that too often, then yeah I'd probably be out of a job. Or at least get a stern talkin too lol

xi11ix
Adventurer
I'm glad to hear your demo went well. I 100% agree that you really can't understand how awesome VR is until you try it.

I'm going to an extended family gathering next week and would love to bring my Vive (It has far more wow factor than the Rift at the moment due to the controllers) but It's a lot of effort to take a desktop on a plane, so my VR evangelism will have to consist of pictures, video, and verbal descriptions. Fortunately my immediate family, who have tried both the Rift and Vive, will gladly back me up.

maxpare79
Trustee
How did you get Affected to run on CV1?
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

godwisper
Expert Protege
me too took my vive at work and all impressed. You always impress people that never saw VR right ?

showed them:

Edge of Nowhere

Chronos

The Gallery

A Chair in a Room

All ran fine on my alienware notebook and 970M.