cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

A glimpse at the real future of VR

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
As most VR fans are aware, one of the predictions from the Oculus camp, via Mark Zuckerberg, is that the sustainable future for VR resides within the Social Media industry. I do believe that VR is going to thrive due to far more than video games; thus the need for better resolution, FOV, or VR arcade facilities is minuscule in the grand scheme of it all.

I read an article today about TheWaveVR, which raised 4 million dollars for what is essentially... a piece of software that lets users create something that reminds me of Windows 95 screensavers:

https://vimeo.com/212177355

Side note: for those of you complaining about the $10 million for Robo Recall even though it has exclusivity, a full single-player campaign, and community Mod support... TheWaveVR raised 4-million even though there is already software that achieves what this app accomplishes 😐

Anyway, despite the fact that TheWaveVR is just another music visual application, what it does accomplish better than anything else right now, is the ability to "share" the musical worlds you create. You can even host a concert to showcase your work.

That's rather brilliant!

The social foundation is genius, while the final product is rather common. But this is just the start of something huge; and I look forward witnessing further innovations with VR throughout the social realm.

Full article:
https://www.vrandfun.com/thewavevr-closes-4-million-round-financing-releases-new-vr-experinence/

This will be a cross-platform software title.

Personally, I plan to try this out and maybe create a world just for some... Cannibal Corpse.

23 REPLIES 23

falken76
Expert Consultant
Lol Cannibal Corpse....  The T-shirts.... Did you go to high school in the 90's Zen?  A lot of your references are things I remember vividly....

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Yep, I graduated mid-90's from highschool.

Although I see young kids today walking around with Cannibal Corpse shirts, and old Metallica shirts. It's cute.

Anonymous
Not applicable
So its like a Rave in VR. Druggies are gonna go nuts over this stuff. 

Solsland
Adventurer
Just my two penneth worth but social media in VR.. I'm not so sure.  Ultimately what would really be the benefit of social media in VR over the laptop/tablet/mobile in front of you?

VR is anti social locally, great if you are single or don't want to interact with the people you live with but not so good otherwise.  I spend a fair bit of time keeping in contact with friends who are geographically distant whilst still being present with people in my immediate surroundings.

VR is limiting (and over time uncomfortable), I can sit with a nice glass of wine, vaping and in relative comfort with social media open on my laptop.  In VR I can drink through a straw (if I didn't knock my drink over trying to feel for it).

Currently I can see the people I am interacting with via Skype etc, can't do that in VR (well you could but it's either going to be an avatar or a guy with a big screen strapped to their face..

Social media in VR will have to offer something pretty fucking amazing to encourage me to spend time in there, and I am already a VR fan/early adopter.

So to my original question, what would be the benefit of social media in VR?  Why would the general public buy in to a (highly expensive) platform that gives a lesser experience?

Not trying to be controversial or start an argument, genuinely asking this question.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Solsland said:

Ultimately what would really be the benefit of social media in VR over the laptop/tablet/mobile in front of you?

The laptop/tablet/mobile device is the way we engage in Social Media activities today. There is no Social Media without them, so I'm not sure what you're saying.

Solsland said:

VR is limiting (and over time uncomfortable), I can sit with a nice glass of wine, vaping and in relative comfort with social media open on my laptop.  In VR I can drink through a straw (if I didn't knock my drink over trying to feel for it).

I've spent upwards of 4 hours straight wearing my Rift, I find it very comfortable. This is a personal preference, but also besides the point. Once Social Media VR becomes more predominant, future VR HMD's can take comfort and ease-of-use in to consideration, so that you can stay in VR with your glass of wine.

There needs to be a reason to invent these more comfortable VR HMD's. My main point is that video games won't be the driving force for such innovation; Social Media will be.

Solsland
Adventurer
"Solsland said:
Ultimately what would really be the benefit of social media in VR over the laptop/tablet/mobile in front of you?"

The laptop/tablet/mobile device is the way we engage in Social Media activities today. There is no Social Media without them, so I'm not sure what you're saying.

My comments were in answer to..

"As most VR fans are aware, one of the predictions from the Oculus camp, via Mark Zuckerberg, is that the sustainable future for VR resides within the Social Media industry."

I  assumed that anyone reading my comments would have naturally understood that I was commenting on the future of Social Media in VR?  

"Solsland said:
VR is limiting (and over time uncomfortable), I can sit with a nice glass of wine, vaping and in relative comfort with social media open on my laptop.  In VR I can drink through a straw (if I didn't knock my drink over trying to feel for it)."

I've spent upwards of 4 hours straight wearing my Rift, I find it very comfortable.

You appear to have missed my point.  I can spend lengthy periods of time in VR as well, it is however considerably less comfortable than when not wearing a VR headset.  You really can't argue that in any way shape or form it is more comfortable wearing a VR headset than not..

Once Social Media VR becomes more predominant, future VR HMD's can take comfort and ease-of-use in to consideration, so that you can stay in VR with your glass of wine.

If's buts and maybe's.  You can't seriously argue that 'in the future it will all be (whatever)'   In the future we may well mind meld with an organic quantum computer, this is however, not the basis for a counter point unless we are debating sci fi possibilities.

Finally

Why no comment on -

"VR is anti social locally, great if you are single or don't want to interact with the people you live with but not so good otherwise.  I spend a fair bit of time keeping in contact with friends who are geographically distant whilst still being present with people in my immediate surroundings."

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Solsland said:
If's buts and maybe's.  You can't seriously argue that 'in the future it will all be (whatever)' 
There is more evidence of what I'm arguing in favor of, as opposed to you trying to seriously argue that a glass of wine and cigarette will prevent Social Media VR from flourishing.

You haven't really made your point very clear, and you don't seem interested in acknowledging real world advancements.

Solsland
Adventurer
Sorry, not sure how much clearer can I be than.. AR is easier, cheaper and more comfortable than VR Zenbane?

You appear to have latched on to my throw away comment about taking refreshments whilst in VR but have avoided offering any sort of comment on the physical limitations that it presents.  

You have stated that there is more evidence of what you are "arguing" in favour of (didn't realise we were arguing but hey ho), but fail to provide any timescales or evidence of this.  I am sure that given enough time everything will be hunky dory but as we are talking about the immediate/imminent success of VR it would be good to see some evidence of these break through technologies that you are talking about that will be along in the next 2-3 years?

You have again chosen not to comment on the locally anti social aspect of VR (and potential resultant limitation on uptake) why?

Finally, why do you feel the need to be so arguementative?  When I first responded to this thread I intentionally added a line at the end stating that I was not being controversial or trying to start an argument.

Why do you feel that you have to be so truculent in making a point or when responding to a comment that you disagree with?

elboffor
Consultant
Question, (completely off topic) does anyone like acid bath?
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.