cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD Crossfire and DK2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

I would like to share my experiences with running DK2 with crossfire enabled.

I am using Clevo P370em laptop with Intel i7-3740QM processor, 8GB ram and 2x AMD 7970m graphic cards (latest 14.7 beta drivers).

So far I have been using DK2 with crossfire disabled but then I saw discussions about SLI on the forum and decided to test crossfire. For test I have used Oculus World demo included with SDK 0.4.0. I have not updated it to 0.4.1 yet.

Crossfire disabled:
VSYNC ON: 75 FPS, no judder, 25 ms latency
VSYNC OFF: 350-450 FPS, no judder, small ghosting

Crossfire enabled:
VSYNC ON: 73-76 FPS, judder, unplayable, 50-55 ms latency
VSYNC OFF: 650-750 FPS, no judder, small ghosting

With VSYNC OFF latency is showing as N/A, however I have not noticed any added latency. Everything was smooth with both crossfire enabled and disabled.

It looks like crossfire can be used with VSYNC OFF if you don't mind little ghosting which is difficult to notice unless you look for it. It is perfectly playable with crossifre.

I have not tested it with other demos/games yet.

Did anyone else try to test crossfire?
4 REPLIES 4

Psycold
Honored Guest
I have been playing Elite Dangerous with my DK2 using two Gigabyte Windforce HD7950's, crossfire enabled and have not noticed any issues when playing, I haven't run any comparative tests though to see if anything changes when disabling crossfire.

Lagahan
Explorer
Did you try capping the framerate of the applications with Rivatuner statistics server/MSI afterburner instead of using VSync? I usually do this on all games because I can't stand the latency of VSync. Try capping it to 76/75/74 based on the tearing you experience.
Also grab RadeonPro and make profiles for the games (AMD's version of NvidiaInspector), set the Flip Queue size to 1 or 0 to reduce the amount of frames queued by the CPU for render.

I'd like to know the results of this myself as I might order that same Clevo chassis only with dual 880Ms.
DK1 status: Delivered, DK2 status: Delivered Rigs: CPU: i5 2500k @4.8GHz GPU: R9 290 @1.1GHz RAM: 16GB OS: Windows 7 Pro x64 CPU: i7 4710MQ 3.3GHz GPU: 2x880M 8GB RAM: 8GB OS: Windows 7 Pro x64

hapklaar
Explorer
"Psycold" wrote:
I have been playing Elite Dangerous with my DK2 using two Gigabyte Windforce HD7950's, crossfire enabled and have not noticed any issues when playing, I haven't run any comparative tests though to see if anything changes when disabling crossfire.

ED doesn't support crossfire or sli at the moment, so I guess one card isn't used at all. Support for multi-gpu should be in Beta2 I read today.

Taa
Honored Guest
"hapklaar" wrote:
"Psycold" wrote:

ED doesn't support crossfire or sli at the moment, so I guess one card isn't used at all. Support for multi-gpu should be in Beta2 I read today.

Its treu its officially not supported as of yet
But crossfire in E D does work its easily noticeable if you turn on the farm rate and temperature monitor.
Some bugs are visible though, the planets are tearing and the landing platform display keeps sticking to your screen
Just load the galaxy map for that and ignore the planet 🙂
Turn vsinc off and cap your gpu's workload to 76 frames
Netherlands Amsterdam Europe Ordered June 9 (processing)