cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD Radeon RX 6000 First Look - Oh my, (in Fortnite too)

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Take a first look at the design of the new Radeon RX 6000 series. Our upcoming
#RDNA2 graphics cards will feature a brand new cooler design, and you can study every angle yourself on our Fortnite Creative Island. 8651-9841-1639.
https://twitter.com/Radeon/status/1305612438675562505

om1f0esg8rse.jpg

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
19 REPLIES 19

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

TomCgcmfc said:

snowdog said:

It's quite a fugly card. Any news on performance yet?

I don't this we'll find out till later next month (~28 Oct 2020).  It would be nice to see it be competitive with the 3080.

And just maybe it'll be a card you actually can buy  😄 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

TomCgcmfc said:

snowdog said:

I don't this we'll find out till later next month (~28 Oct 2020).  It would be nice to see it be competitive with the 3080.

Nice but unlikely I think. This is modern day AMD we're talking about here unfortunately ☹?☹

kojack
MVP
MVP
The 6000 has a USB C port on the back. That's interesting, considering Virtual Link is dead and Nvidia dropped it from the 3000 series.
The fortnite reveal has also shown it only has 1 hdmi and 2 dp. The RTX3080 has 1 hdmi and 3 dp.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hang on, I thought that the Quest 2 uses USB C for Oculus-Link?

kojack
MVP
MVP
Oculus Link cable - just a usb cable, can plug in any usb-c port.
Oculink - An industry standard socket used on the Rift-S cable. Ocu stands for Optical Copper, nothing to do with Oculus, just a coincidence.
Virtual Link - An "alternative mode" standard for doing direct display port connections over a USB-C cable. No consumer VR Headset used it, it was abandoned.
Nvidia's USB-C port - A Virtual Link capable port, but also works as a standard USB 3.2 Gen 2 port.

You connect a Quest to a PC with the Link cable to any USB-C port, doesn't have to be the gfx card one, since Quest doesn't support Virtual Link. Or to any USB 2 or USB 3 port if you use a cable with a USB-A plug. The only benefit any headset got from Nvidia's port is good power support, none took advantage of Virtual Link. Well, Xtal and StarVR did, but they are enterprise headsets.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

snowdog said:

TomCgcmfc said:

snowdog said:

Nice but unlikely I think. This is modern day AMD we're talking about here unfortunately ☹?☹

Yes, but you do find AMD gpus in both Playstation5 and XBox Series X, and both consoles are using Big Navi gpu architectures (although custom RDNA 2 gpus). This demos runs using RDNA 2:

https://youtu.be/qC5KtatMcUw

zw5f616ddh5b.jpg

Now, if Nvidia powered both PS5 and XBox Series X with Ampere gpus they'd surely let us know how amazing that would be for pc gaming - seems AMD is more humble. Bridging high-end gaming platforms does not sound bad to me - at least anything is better than mobile Quest gpus these days, lol. 

I do have a hard time imagining using a Radeon gpu again, but it did take me through Half-Life 2 and Doom3 the last times. And 5700XT does not seem like a bad card at all, although maybe there have been some VR compatibility issues, but probably not many, or Reddit posts would have been far more numerous. 

In short, maybe it's more than OK to be excited for Big Navi. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

snowdog said:

TomCgcmfc said:

snowdog said:

Yes, but you do find AMD gpus in both Playstation5 and XBox Series X, and both consoles are using Big Navi gpu architectures (although custom RDNA 2 gpus). This demos runs using RDNA 2:

https://youtu.be/qC5KtatMcUw

zw5f616ddh5b.jpg

Now, if Nvidia powered both PS5 and XBox Series X with Ampere gpus they'd surely let us know how amazing that would be for pc gaming - seems AMD is more humble. Bridging high-end gaming platforms does not sound bad to me - at least anything is better than mobile Quest gpus these days, lol. 

I do have a hard time imagining using a Radeon gpu again, but it did take me through Half-Life 2 and Doom3 the last times. And 5700XT does not seem like a bad card at all, although maybe there have been some VR compatibility issues, but probably not many, or Reddit posts would have been far more numerous. 

In short, maybe it's more than OK to be excited for Big Navi. 

Nvidia doesn't push for the console business anymore because the margins are too slim for them. AMD doesn't seem to mind. Nvidia would also have to get a lot more flexible because Sony and Microsoft want custom APU's which AMD doesn't seem to mind accomodating.

Nvidia parts are in the original Xbox, the PS3 and more recently the Nintendo Switch. Considering Nvidia overtook Intel back in July in worth, I'm sure they aren't missing it too much lol.

Also, the fact that AMD can supply the entire package themselves is a cost benefit to them. I'm sure there's a bunch of licensing issues with putting an Nvidia chip on a SoC as well.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just saw this - ok, might have seen it before, but with 300+ watts revealed from 3080/3090 this suddenly does look much more interesting:

ekzehagsiq4v.png

There are signs that Ampere does not provide a lot more performance per watt compared to Turing - but here AMD says they get 50% more performance per watt. Remains to be measured by independent reviewers. 

Like Tom said, October 28 seems to be confirmed - should I call in sick that day?  😄

hjjxfw66in1x.jpg

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
AMD says that Big Navi will not be a paper launch - like 3080/3090:

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/amd-is-determined-for-big-navi-not-to-be-a-paper-launch/

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Hmmmm .... Infinity ... cache... 

https://hothardware.com/news/amd-radeon-rx-6000-big-navi-infinity-cache