cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After October, New User Functionality without Facebook?

Nimarus
Protege
I STRONGLY dislike the idea of using Facebook. My brother has thought about getting an Oculus Rift at some point as I am using an Oculus Rift. However, we both greatly dislike the idea of using Facebook. Now it seems I'm going to be forced to use this service for a product I purchased about a year ago. There was no indication that such a decision would be forced upon me. If I had known, I would have immediately gone with a competitor.

My question is this: For a New User after the October deadline, what functionality will the Oculus have if the user decides to NEVER create a Facebook account? So far, it sounds like having a Facebook account will be required for the device to even function. Will it be possible to just create an account just so we can use the device WE PAID FOR, and then just let the Facebook account collect dust?

At this rate, Valve Index is looking really good right now.
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup. Just create an account and you won't need to go anywhere near it again, the Facebook account can quite happily collect dust without a problem. ?

Nimarus
Protege

snowdog said:

Yup. Just create an account and you won't need to go anywhere near it again, the Facebook account can quite happily collect dust without a problem. ?

Good, I'll use a fake name that somehow insults Facebook...or just pokes fun at it.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
None, I think. You'll need to create a Facebook account to activate the HMD and link it to your Oculus account.
Note that this doesn't mean you have to use Facebook, or even touch your FB account beyond "create one and disable all data collection I can" then using it to activate/sign into your Oculus HMD. Nor do you have to let anyone see what your FB name is.

Actually, while Facebook does want your real name, you don't actually have to put that in. I listed my name as Fae Friend, for example. My real name isn't connected to my FB account. Neither do I use a picture of myself. I also don't have any personally identifiable information on my FB profile. Not even where I live. All that's required is a name, a password, and an email account.
Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nimarus said:

snowdog said:

Good, I'll use a fake name that somehow insults Facebook...or just pokes fun at it.

I wouldn't do that if I were you, the account will get banned. Some people have had accounts with false names banned, but if you choose a sensible name that isn't a piss take or blatantly false I reckon you should be okay.

If you choose a sensible false name and it gets banned, just tell Facebook that you can't use your real name on Social Media due to a violent ex partner and they should unban it.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
If your brother gets a Rift before October, he can create an Oculus account and use it without connecting a Facebook account. He won’t be able to use Oculus social features like the friends list, though.

After the October changeover, no new user will be able to set up an Oculus device without using a Facebook account, and nobody will be able to activate a new Oculus device without a Facebook account (it’s not clear whether, for existing users, this applies to a newly acquired Rift S or Quest, or just new upcoming headsets).

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
We all look forward to the official statement from Oculus of the functionality that will be lost if you run your hardware without the Facebook login - as to not reveal this would throw them open to certain actions.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

wuzp
Rising Star

kevinw729 said:

We all look forward to the official statement from Oculus of the functionality that will be lost if you run your hardware without the Facebook login - as to not reveal this would throw them open to certain actions.

Call Geragos & Geragos @ (213) 625-3900 and ask for a free quote.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Okay, that was the fifth time you have used that joke - which really is not a joke but a derail or off topic post to try and impact the discussion. and so REPORT.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

wuzp
Rising Star
It's not a joke, but a "put up or be quiet."  If you're going to threaten legal action, be prepared to carry through.