cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternate - SP Zombie Apocalypse Game

Madaras
Expert Protege
Lifeless (The Zombie apocalypse game on Indiegogo and recently mentioned on these forums), I like what they're trying to do, I'm simply not a fan of multiplayer (mainly because there are a mass of people who do not know or care about role playing so you're surrounded by ignorant arrogant punks who annoy the heck out of you, and for a good zombie game you really need to feel like you're there) I was going to reply to the lifeless thread, but the reply became so long I decided to turn it into a new thread.

The ideal Zombie game for me would be a game where you find NPC survivors and you choose to help them or not and it's kind of like "The Walking Dead" Series where you may help some guy who may end up stabbing you in the back or flaking on you later. It's a game where you'd be on edge almost non-stop (in the beginning) you find yourself a normal guy, going to work, in a car accident, on your way to school, ect... and suddenly news reports start coming in about the dead coming back to life and eating people and you are urged by the government to get in a shelter/camp of some sort where the world outside goes to hell and the world inside starts to get uncomfortable. People start dying/stealing/lying/ ect... causing social unrest and you choose to leave maybe due to zombies breaking in maybe due to the unrest maybe someone died and started biting people and people were turning left and right.

Now when you get on your own with maybe your friend or two from the camp/shelter you have to take whatever you may consider handy that you can use. Of Course weapons are a must, but you also may want to grab a hose or a tire maybe you think a frying pan and forks are more useful. The Point being that you have a limit to what you can carry and you have to make calls on if you choose and you may regret it later when you go back and that item you had put second on your list is gone. Now your next goal is to "Find" or "Build" a shelter so gathering tools and materials becomes important to fortify an existing shelter or build your own.

Now this can be tricky as while you're out trying to gather materials (maybe find a saw to cut down trees to build a nice cabin? However that can be dangerous for a multitude of reasons "Noise attracting zombies" or alerting people out and about, which could either scare them away (worried about the noise attracting zombies) or intrigue them enough to scout what's going on. Now these people won't necessarily attack you. They may come by to negotiate, to steal (stealth), demand (give or fight), or all out kill and take. You have to travel and pick up supplies, maybe wild berries (beware not all are good for your health) or caned goods in stores ect.. As you pick up people and build your "fortress/home" you will have to deal with the social issues of your group. Maybe one is a family about to have a baby, another wants more to eat than is rationed to him, another maybe doesn't like your leadership.

As the leader of your group you would have to make calls on what the people in the group do. Who gets guard duty what armaments will they use, who will gather food/materials/tools, how many people go with them, will you send someone to scout, who will fortify/design the base/home/city (I'm anticipating the larger the group would be the more buildings you may build the longer you can survive the more walls you can build)

As your team grows you'll have to set policies what happens when someone is bit? If someone is having a baby what do you do with them, do you allow them to have the baby supporting the mother while she's pregnant, or make them leave because the noise and supplies will be a danger to the group? What about if a person is sick? Not to mention, how do you handle death, will you shoot them in the head and bury them or burn the bodies? Mass grave or individual graves?

Every individual has skills. Everyone starts with skills from before the apocalypse. Carpenter, doctor, plummer, athlete, teacher, housekeeper, computer skills, cartographer (for instance a cab driver could be good at this. And these skills (and more) can be increased as you all survive. Someone you send out as a scout would get faster and maybe if he has to kill a few zombies stronger. Someone who has to fortify the base will get stronger and build endurance, if you assign someone to be a medic they'd get better at it healing more illnesses and patching up wounds better and someone with a broken limb can be treated better and get back on their feet sooner. With a teacher can learn intellectual skills faster and transfer those skills the others with more ease.

Another aspect of these various trades is you can assign people trades and someone to instruct and teach them.
You may decide Ryan should stay and fortify the base with Fred the foreman as his instructor so he learns better, however what if he can't stand Fred, a fight breaks out and Fred ends up with a broken neck Ryan runs away Fred wakes up as a zombie laying on the ground, Gwen sees him on the ground puts her hand on his shoulder to see if he's alright and he leaps on her eats her thought and now you have two zombies. Now you are out on a hunt scavenging materials or killing zombies on the perimeter either way maybe you and the fighters are out and the less equip are at the base when you come back (because of your bad chooses and not knowing or disregarding the feelings of the people in your camp it's now overrun by zombies your home and everything have been destroyed and your friends are now dead and you have to start over...if you survive)

To me this would be the ideal type of zombie game.
9 REPLIES 9

Syaoranoni
Honored Guest
Sounds amazing. Very reminiscent of the Telltale Walking Dead games.

Now we just need someone willing to make it.
Oh, the brutal wait until Christmas. Downloading leagues of demos to make the wait less agonising.

Madaras
Expert Protege
"Syaoranoni" wrote:
Sounds amazing. Very reminiscent of the Telltale Walking Dead games.

Now we just need someone willing to make it.

They were definitely on track with the social decisions and unexpected outcome for your choices. However, the choices you made in the game only gave an illusion of control. No matter what choices you made most outcomes came out the same. However in a game like "Alternate" it would need to be more casual as the game is not meant to be movie/comic like, but more free world like Skyrim. Though with aspects of the game Fort Zombie. For those that don't know Fort zombie is a Zombie survived game in a small town where you fortify the base with some survivors that you find. However the quality of AI, graphics, glitches make the game bad. However I really liked their approach to a zombie game.

Syaoranoni
Honored Guest
I see.
Oh, the brutal wait until Christmas. Downloading leagues of demos to make the wait less agonising.

Madaras
Expert Protege
"Syaoranoni" wrote:
I see.

I speak.

Madaras
Expert Protege
"Syaoranoni" wrote:
I see.

I speak.

xSpektre
Honored Guest
Sounds like what State of Decay was supposed to be, and what's turned into the Undead Lab's next ambition. You should keep an eye on them.
Order 608xx: ARRIVED!!!!!!!!!!!

Madaras
Expert Protege
"xSpektre" wrote:
Sounds like what State of Decay was supposed to be, and what's turned into the Undead Lab's next ambition. You should keep an eye on them.

Well it sucks I can only seem to find it for Xbox. You're right though their aim is right up my alley. Exactly what I'm looking for. I hope their next release will be for PC/PS3 (though I don't play PC games much anymore for a game like that I probably would take some time to enjoy)

Madaras
Expert Protege
Hey thought I may revisit this, still looking for an Ideal game, hopefully now in VR.