cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I the only one that gets FAR less than 75fps?

RirtualVeality
Adventurer
...because it seems that way. I continue to hear people talk about "just" getting 60fps or 55fps. Let me just say this: I'm getting NOWHERE NEAR THAT on most games I'm playing in the Rift. Euro Truck Simulator 2 being a big offender. I don't check my fps, but I know they're terrible. Does anyone else play like this? The only stuff I seem to get high fps on the ancient games like DukeVR, QuakeVR, etc...

..my specs, for comparison's sake:

-HP Envy i7 3.4ghz
-6gb of DDR3 SDRAM
-AMD Radeon HD 7770 2gb (This is obviously what's crushing my performance)
-Windows 8

After looking up the HD 7770 on http://www.videocardbenchmark.net I can already tell this is a hindrance. I can crank everything up when just playing on a monitor and it has served me quite well with respect to the latest games...but with VR...it seems to be choking. I'm one of those people that doesn't have a lot of money, but will spend whatever it takes to facilitate the hobbies/interests I have. Sooooooooooo is a Geforce GTX 780 Ti in my future?
2 REPLIES 2

Wireline
Explorer
Yeah I get shitty frame rate with stuff too. Sucks, but I know I need a new rig anyway. Some demos get lovely frames though, so I try to stick to them.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
My GTX670OC is a fairly capable card at 1080 on a monitor, but for vr, in games like eilite or ETS, to be playable I have to go to minimum details.

even then i am rarely getting 75fps, and my card is superior to yours.

that i7, is that one of the launch nehalem processors? (I am only guessing due to your 6gb of ram)

either way..... its still not a bad cpu and could probably take 1 more upgrade to a high end GPU before it needs replacing......... but that GPU is certainly not really VR complaiant imo.

hopefully going forward things will improve from oculus' end, but they are not magicians & if you try to put up with poor framerate imo you are likely to spoil the entire experience. VR sickness is horrible indeed and if you are not careful you could spoil it for yourself.

VR is a really new game and for the next few years it will cost a fair bit for an optimal experience. unlike gaming on a screen when you can put up with sub optimal frames you cant really in VR imo.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂