cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An Idea to interact with objects.

sirredknight
Honored Guest
In stead of having you're hand move in an object. How about programming objects so when you're hand/body starts to move through an object it dims you're field of view giving you're brain a indicator to move back. And if you're hand/body moves to much in an object then you're field of view goes black and ports you out of the object and then slowly returns you're field of view. This was just a idea I wanted to pass by you all.
7 REPLIES 7

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
What object are you talking about having your hand in? A glove or something? I don't understand what you mean tbh.

sirredknight
Honored Guest
Objects like a wall. You want to limit people in a demo/game and not having people walk past walls to get to another room. So you program the wall to have a degree of lee way making that person stop because the screen starts to go white/black. Giving the person the choose to back off or go all the way in where in doing so will turn you're screen white and port you back out side the wall then slowly returning the field of view. If it just ports you back with out turning you're screen white or returning the field of view back it takes away from the virtual experience.

The key here is keeping the virtual experience. We cant have physical limitations in a virtual world so instead we have visual limitations in a virtual world to tell our brain no/stop.

As for a virtual hands going in a virtual table it could be programmed to brighten you're hand slowly giving you time to remove you're hand out of that object. Or leave you're hand in that table till the brightness turns you're full screen white then ports you back outside the table/object then returning you're field of view to normal. This is if you even have hands in the virtual world acting as two controllers in each hand.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Are you talking about something like Valves VR headset? Where if you go near a wall in your house the headset brings up an image to show you are near a wall?

sirredknight
Honored Guest
No I am just talking about a more realistic interaction in a virtual world wall/table/objects.

raidx
Protege
in gaming engine... you can add collision to objects that keep you from moving through it... you can do this to objects on a table for example... that way when your virtual hands touch an object, it could start moving using basic physic.

If you are talking about trying to touch a virtual wall with your hands and that your hands physically goes through the wall but not virtually then hmm yeah you could fade out stuff... I think it would be a good way when the body goes through it. Fade to black until the user back off to his initial position and chose another direction.

But to have a perfect blend between virtual assets and physical feeling is still a long way to go... We will need an exosuit with oil joint that would block us physically when this happen... I don't see any other way

VizionVR
Rising Star
"sirredknight" wrote:
In stead of having you're hand move in an object. How about programming objects so when you're hand/body starts to move through an object it dims you're field of view giving you're brain a indicator to move back. And if you're hand/body moves to much in an object then you're field of view goes black and ports you out of the object and then slowly returns you're field of view. This was just a idea I wanted to pass by you all.

Objects can be set to be non-clippable in game, but in some VR ports of older games you can actually lean through walls and items to see through to the other side. Half-Life 2 has this weird issue. The problem is fixed by dimming your view as you lean through the wall.
So yeah, already fixed.
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

Skelator
Honored Guest
Some good points here, does the dimming break presence?; hopefully the development of haptic feedback will help with this as well? >;{}
Everything I do, is for the sake of evil. Almost>;{} Tianhe-2|1,375 TiB|12.4 PB|OS Kylin Linux|VR Input Marmalade Jars All my "POSTs" in this forum are fictitious. Any resemblance to real "FACTs", living or dead, is a miracle. 😉