cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any suggestions on a PC?

mta
Honored Guest
My PC is a nearly 6 years old Pentium Q6600 quad 4GB memory GT9800 it can still run the latest DX10 games at a playable framerate, last game I played was thief on low-to-medium settings. It won't play DX11.

I've ordered the DK2 kit, and I'm guessing the rift won't be happy with my 2008 set up

So say I've got a $1000 to play with, what should I be looking at? Just the motherboard, memory, processor, graphics, HDD (I assume there's nothing else) the case is good. Any suggestions would be great.
34 REPLIES 34

raidx
Protege
"mta" wrote:
SO what is the suggestion get 8GB and leave room for more?

Can you put just 1 x 8GB in a PC? If it's 2 x 4GB then that would leave less room for expansion

You need a kit of 2*4GB and not a single 8GB or you wont run in dual channel which is bad

And dont worry usually motherboard comes with 4 slot so yeah you could upgrade later but i dont think you will need it until ypur next computer upgrade

willste
Explorer
Yeah my guess would be at this point with the increase in video ram sizes, by the time you need larger CPU ram you will also need a whole new mother board.

Nvidia GPU architecture after Maxwell is talking about a big change that sounds like it would require very different motherboards.

If you make a solid high end gaming rig now it will likely be about the best you can do for the next 2 years, since that should be about how long it takes, Nvidia, AMD and Intel to release truly next generation chips since all the 3 generations of GPUs and CPUs have all been similar architectures with incremental speed improvements and it looks like all the upcoming releases will be more of the same.

Gygax
Explorer
"BennyFackter" wrote:
"Will my computer handle this monitor?"

The DK2 is just a fancy monitor. Asking if your computer is going to work for DK2 is the wrong question, because every game is different. I only recently upgraded from an ATI HD5850, and had no trouble getting very high frame rates on high settings on lots of demos (Over 150fps on Time Rifters at max settings. yes on an HD5850.)

If you absolutely have to play the most graphically intensive games and the highest settings with no exceptions, yeah of course you're going to need a high end card like a 780ti or an 800 series when they come out. But you can save hundreds of dollars if you're willing to make minimal compromises on quality on just a few of those kinds of games. Just like gaming on a regular monitor. Only difference with the DK2 is that you need 75+ fps instead of 50-60 or whatever you prefer on a monitor.

i understand your point.. as i think i said earlier though, i have heard that the oculus does not like software run in non-native resolutions (?) maybe someone here can clarify some of this?
i have read somewhere that it is best to run games for oculus at the correct native resolution and just scale the graphics right? i understand that different games stress your computer differently. skyrim for example is supposed to put more emphasis on the cpu than the gpu? i have what i think of as a beefy and capable desktop. i am just interested in peoples advice about gpu vs dk2
I preordered a DK2 in April, from Australia.. ..and Im still completely sane!! ;P

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
"willste" wrote:

Nvidia GPU architecture after Maxwell is talking about a big change that sounds like it would require very different motherboards.

The new connection is optional, pascal GPUs will still support PCIe (I read) but for mobos with the newer tech you should be able to connect it via NVlink (faster than PCIe) - whether that makes for two models with different connectors or a standard PCIe connection + the NVlink in addition, I don't know.
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro

willste
Explorer
"Sharpfish" wrote:
"willste" wrote:

The new connection is optional, pascal GPUs will still support PCIe (I read) but for mobos with the newer tech you should be able to connect it via NVlink (faster than PCIe) - whether that makes for two models with different connectors or a standard PCIe connection + the NVlink in addition, I don't know.

Makes sense, I suppose they wouldn't make a card that didn't work on most motherboards. As much as intel and AMD might love a forced upgrade.