cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to add friends or play games with them when I do not have a Facebook account?

Black_Jack_62
Honored Guest
Is there any way that I can add friends or respond to their invites when I do not have a Facebook account?

My son recently bought a Quest and I would like to play game with him, but I will not get a Facebook account.  I have not ever had a Facebook account and I certainly will not get a Facebook account for any reason.
32 REPLIES 32

nalex66
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

Just create a dummy account and don't go anywhere near it again. You don't even need to use your own name.

Problem solved.

I've seen several people complain that linking a FB account with a different name changed their real name in their Oculus account, which could have ramifications for payments, shipments, etc. There have also been instances of FB asking for ID verification when the name isn't legit, or just straight-up deleting dummy accounts, so that route might not be foolproof.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

If you don't want to use Facebook for Facebook, just create an account for Oculus, that way it doesn't matter that it's a legit account as there's nothing on it, other than name and email, which is what's needed for an Oculus account anyway, also, age and gender, which can be anything you want provided age is over 13 (I think).

For those that say that's not the point, I'm still trying decide what the point is, I mean once you get past the 'I just don't want to use Facebook' and 'they changed the rules', there must be specific reasons which go beyond that.

If it's about already having a Facebook account that you use, that you want to keep separate from Oculus use, I can understand that concern more, but we've been told the two are kept separate and will continue to be, unless you choose for them not to be.

I can understand concerns about a ban from Facebook affecting Oculus social use too. The flip-side to that is, there could be some serious benefit to preventing some people from the social VR space based on their behaviour elsewhere. That doesn't mean that anything mentioned in this thread is sufficient cause for a Facebook or Oculus bar, it's just more of a general statement of the issue. It does put more of an onus on Facebook to get the bans right.

There's also the question that gets asked a lot... they didn't need to do it, Oculus social activity worked well, so why did they? Well, they did it because it benefits them, they want to increase Facebook accounts, they want to manage social activity, including security once not twice, basically, it benefits them. 

But like @Richooal says, there's been a ton of posts on this since the day it was announced, all points of view and as with all subjects, I have a thing about multiple threads and I often feel like kissing people when they do a forum search and add comments to existing threads instead of starting  new one.

😘

SpottiChen
Protege
To invite people without a Facebook account, use Facebook from a computer or the Facebook app for Android. Yes. If you're a host of a private event, you can invite friends even if they don't have a Facebook account.