cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else see this..? It's rumor, but it's out there..

OccUpied
Expert Protege
http://ir.net/news/virtual-reality/124264/fresnel-lens-oculus-rift-delays/

Maybe a quality control problem some people are seeing now..
14 REPLIES 14

loucmachine
Explorer
Isnt Vive using the same Fresnel Lens ? I dont get it...

marikcraven
Expert Protege

Isnt Vive using the same Fresnel Lens ? I dont get it...

The Rift are using a hybrid Fresnel lens that is different from Vive's I believe.

RReed43
Explorer
I haven't seen a teardown for the Vive (looked) but the teardown on the Rift indicates that the Fresnel lens in the Rift is a pretty sophisticated optical device probably custom designed and manufactured for the Rift.  It is conceivable that the manufacture of these lenses could be a problem during start up.

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar

The Rift's fresnel lenses have smaller and tighter grooves which causes a more pronounced light flare.  I saw similar rumors that turned out to be an April fool's prank on reddit.  Everyone with a Rift has reported seeing some light flaring in high contrast situations.  It is just an unfortunate side-effect of the frensel grooves and how they reflect light.  The Vive light flares are a little more spaced out due to the gaps between the ridges.

The mitigated screendoor should allow you to enjoy the experience more, so the light flares shouldn't be much of a distraction in most situations.  Elite's high contrast HUD elements cause quite a bit of light flaring, but the reduced screendoor is so nice, I find myself looking right past the flares and enjoying the extra clarity.

i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
Guys, just that, if the lens were so delicate and prone to crack, we will have for sure someone with a rift  and cracked lens, instead the worst problem is god rays...
I dubt the problem are the lens.

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
So basically, people are going part by part starting rumors that that part is the problem...

w_benjamin
Adventurer
Based on the information as a whole, I wouldn't discount the lens necessarily.

They had a company in Japan making something for the rift, then Oculus dropped them, my suspicion being a quality control issue.

I'm betting the company shipped the part knowing a large number were inferior, causing Oculus to scramble to find a new supplier that could make the part correctly. (that's what companies do to try to offset the issue..., they ship 'em out anyway, and if half get returned, they figure they still sold half of them.)

Whether it was a part of a lens, or a whole lens, or some other part, it remains that it was that company that screwed the pooch, and left Oculus to pick up the pieces.

(All conjecture on my part, but I did a pretty exhaustive look into this, and I am satisfied with my conclusion.)

Felixm477
Expert Protege
this is beating a dead horse, at this point we should just sticky a rumor thread lol

water_
Adventurer
I'm still pretty sure it was aliens.