cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else want a VR house to escape in?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I get why game makers make "games" but I'm would actually LOVE to have a large modern looking mansion, that was strictly for walking around or sitting in....no game...just an environment....maybe even a neighborhood and park to walk around in also. I live in an area that has a lot of snow...and rain and being trapped in doors is a realty here and it can get depressing. I would love to have a house just to walk around in, see a beautiful outside area,with an environment I can control. maybe in walk outside and just relax. when I was playing that VR show off with the giant robot(face your fears?) you start off in a brightly lit room with a large window looking out over a city...and I remember wishing I could just hang there for awhile its so nice. I would love more of that. hope someday they release tools to create a custom house.unreal engine maybe?

13 REPLIES 13

darkeclypse
Protege
Im down with that idea!  Always wanted a masion with extremely tall ceilings!

I also find huge open land relaxing.. like being in the middle of an open field like a large farm with like miles in every direction.

Sounds like we both need to move! Haha

matskatsaba
Adventurer
So basically, you are talking about the Tuscany demo from dk1-2 era. Minus the giant robot.
You can do that yourself either with unity or with ue, its basically just importing a few 3d objects, and setting up mesh colliders.

Sax-a-boom
Rising Star
There's some great environments in vTime for chilling out, there really is something for everyone. An unexpected pleasure was the closing credits of Edge of Nowhere, the Antarctic flyover was beautifully done and I could happily spend a lot of time in a procedurally generated environment like that.

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee

Atmos73 said:

Some one needs to make the Playboy Mansion using photo geometry. Who wouldn't want to be Hugh Hefner?

I would rather have his bunnies instead of his mansion.
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

flexy123
Superstar
There ARE such apps, one of them I think is called "Hollywood Mansion" but haven't tried whether it's good or not. There are also several relaxation/meditation apps/experiences with islands, apartments and whatever environments to simply "be" and relax. There is actually a good amount of such things for VR, I guess you haven't looked well enough.

"hope someday they release tools"

Uhm..Unity? Uhm...Unreal Engine? All that stuff exists. Unity and many props for it etc. are free, you could start learning Unity NOW (I also just started with it not that long ago) and make your own worlds/environments/rooms etc. within a short time.

It's very difficult to build anything that appears real - we know what real is - we've walked down the street, we've walked around houses.  We all want real virtual reality where we achieve great presence but at the moment it's much easier to create un-real environments - space, crazy houses etc.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee
A big problem remains: walking. Firstly: you're wired. So, you can't walk around by much. Secondly: Going upstairs in VR? Sounds bad. Going downstairs. You'll probably break your neck.
We will have wireless HMDs in the future, but even than: You have to transfer your real surrounding into a virtual one to match at least the position of the walls. Otherwise you will ran into walls all the time.
Of course, you can say: I'll sit here and walk with a controller or with teleportation. But for me it is not the same as walking with your own feet. It totally kills the immersion.

I think many people have the wish to own a virtual room (or house). And it is doable to a certain degree.
You can build your own room or house with Unity or Unreal. And you can fill it with lots of furniture 3D models which you can buy on the marketplaces (cost a bit of money) or create and texture on your own (takes a lot of time, knowledge and skill).

FieldOfVision
Heroic Explorer
Hey yes that would be awesome. But maybe have modes in the house that you can set it to what you want. So you can play games, but also change the walls, exterior, and everything like that whenever you want. Complete digital modular house, where whatever you want it to be it becomes. 

Latest VR game: Crazy Kung Fu
Other games: www.FieldOf.Vision

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee

Hey yes that would be awesome. But maybe have modes in the house that you can set it to what you want. So you can play games, but also change the walls, exterior, and everything like that whenever you want. Complete digital modular house, where whatever you want it to be it becomes. 

I have seen those features in some Archvis demos. Also exchange of color or material for walls, ground or furnitures. But this is also something that you have to do by yourself when it is not integrated.

Here is some archvis content from the Unreal marketplace:
https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/content-cat/assets/archvis

And here is even ArchVis VR:
https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/archvis-vr