cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know if Samsung are working on another VR headset?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Anyone know if Samsung are working on another VR headset? given that the Samsung Odyssey + seemed like a good headset I'm just wondering why we have heard no more from them regarding VR. I would for Samsung to do a higher resolotion headset like the HP Reverb and maybe add more camera's, but with October just about up I'm not hopeful about hearing anymore from them regarding VR.

6 REPLIES 6

LoneEcho
Expert Protege
AFAIK WMR is abandonware as far as Microsoft is concerned. They are more focused on Augmented reality than VR. WMR is going the way of Kinect and windows phone. It is still supported by devs and valve devs are releasing some updates for its inegration wit steamVR, but AFAIK Microsoft couldn't care less about it.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

DuxCro said:

AFAIK WMR is abandonware as far as Microsoft is concerned. They are more focused on Augmented reality than VR. WMR is going the way of Kinect and windows phone. It is still supported by devs and valve devs are releasing some updates for its inegration wit steamVR, but AFAIK Microsoft couldn't care less about it.

So what happens to VR Headsets like the HP Reverb? That just came out a few months ago and was geared towards enterprise, but was also sold to the consumer market. How are companies going to use these headsets if Microsoft isn't supporting them anymore?

LoneEcho
Expert Protege
idk. I guess HP released their headset because they had it in development for a while. But most of the WMR headsets aren't being made or sold any more. Everything points to WMR being abandonware. Total lack of any word from Microsoft proves it. Last thing i heard from MS is that the sales didn't meet their expectations. They even talked about XBOX One X supporting VR, and when it came out they decided to act like they never said anything about it. Simply ignoring everyone. Maybe we will see VR one day on next gen XBOX. If MS is smart enough. Sony has proved that VR on console can be very successful.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Oh well -So long as microsoft keep the Windows Portal in their windows updates and Steam keeps supporting WMR, it will be good enough for me. I can't go back to a lower resolution VR headset now having experienced the HP Reverb. It will take Oculus 5 plus years to have a VR headset with the HP Reverb's resolution, if they are just going to concentrate on Oculus Quest from now on.
Does that mean it's the last of the Samsung VR headsets then?

If the continued involvement of companies like Microsoft and Samsung have taught us anything, it's that successful VR needs increased adoption and that isn't happening with headsets with the resolution of the Reverb and the associated cost of the hardware that drives them.

Steady improvements whilst maintaining a non-enthusiast price point of adoption is key, otherwise we'll have more companies abandoning VR.

Last week the BBC and Google said they were disbanding their VR teams.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50080594

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@DaftnDirect - I see what you are saying upto a point, but Oculus seems to be going backwards when it comes to having a good VR experience. I'm not interested in having a front heavy mobile VR headset that is the Oculus Quest and that looks to be Oculus's main priority given they didn't talk about Rift S at OC6.
Also, it didn't take take a beefy PC to use a Samsung Odyssey plus, or any other WMR headsets for that matter. And all those WMR headsets were cheaper then Rift S, so it just goes to show cheap isn't always the answer. It was only the HP Reverb that has a higher resolution and requires a beefy computer, but it's sold quite well looking on the sim forums that I frequently visit.