cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Sharing and Multi User Accounts coming in Feb

kojack
MVP
MVP
February 13 will be the start of App sharing.

It's starting on the Quest, but the announcement mentions Rift too.

The basic idea: multiple people can use their facebook accounts to log on to a Quest without factory reset. They can play any games owned by the primary account owner (the account that set up the Quest). Each person gets their own game progress/achievements.

At the start, app sharing will be an experimental feature. The primary account owner can add up to 3 sharing accounts and turn on app sharing. Sharing will only work on a single device at the start, but later will expanded to 3 devices.

Existing games will automatically support app sharing, but the developers can opt out by February 12. From Feb 13 onwards, all Rift and Quest games must support it.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
10 REPLIES 10

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Finally!

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

nalex66 said:

Finally!

yeah, has to be the no.1 requested feature... hopefully the time taken is a sign of lots of testing being done 😉

kojack
MVP
MVP
They say that when app sharing is enabled, the primary account owner can still log in to multiple headsets at once, but can no longer run the same game at the same time on them (even single player by the sound of it).

The initial version of this won't help families that want multiple Quests. It's going to be for a family that wants to share a single Quest without everybody being on one account (affecting each others' leaderboards and achievements, friends, etc). But the one that will support multi-Quest households is coming after the experimental stage.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Woohoo!

Time to go bump a bunch of 2016-2017 threads. BRB...

nalex66
MVP
MVP

kojack said:

They say that when app sharing is enabled, the primary account owner can still log in to multiple headsets at once, but can no longer run the same game at the same time on them (even single player by the sound of it).

The initial version of this won't help families that want multiple Quests. It's going to be for a family that wants to share a single Quest without everybody being on one account (affecting each others' leaderboards and achievements, friends, etc). But the one that will support multi-Quest households is coming after the experimental stage.

It will help households with two Quests... I’ll be able to enable sharing on my Quest 2 to allow my wife to play it under her Facebook account, while I join her in the same game on my Quest 1. I’d rather share the Quest 1 and keep my Quest 2 to myself, but that will come soon enough.

Some of the limitations seem a little overly restrictive, but once it’s opened up to multiple devices, it should work well enough to allow a group of four to play together on one primary account (three devices with sharing enabled and an unshared one used by the primary user).

Anonymous
Not applicable
Beat me to it! I got the developer email earlier on today! ?

Should make A LOT of people happy. ???

Nunyabinez
Rising Star

nalex66 said:

kojack said:

It will help households with two Quests... I’ll be able to enable sharing on my Quest 2 to allow my wife to play it under her Facebook account, while I join her in the same game on my Quest 1. I’d rather share the Quest 1 and keep my Quest 2 to myself, but that will come soon enough.

Some of the limitations seem a little overly restrictive, but once it’s opened up to multiple devices, it should work well enough to allow a group of four to play together on one primary account (three devices with sharing enabled and an unshared one used by the primary user).

I hope your assessment is correct. I have a Quest and a Quest 2 and it would be wonderful if I could sign in to both and have a subaccount access my games for multiplayer. It was unclear to me if they would be allowing headsets with the same Main Account to do multiplayer games with one headset on the main account and one on a subaccount.

I have been acquiring multiplayer games on a second account in anticipation of fast user switching, so I might end up being screwed out of those purchases if it turns out that you can do multiplayer with a single license, but we will have to see exactly how they implement multiplayer.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

nalex66
MVP
MVP

I hope your assessment is correct. I have a Quest and a Quest 2 and it would be wonderful if I could sign in to both and have a subaccount access my games for multiplayer. It was unclear to me if they would be allowing headsets with the same Main Account to do multiplayer games with one headset on the main account and one on a subaccount.

I have been acquiring multiplayer games on a second account in anticipation of fast user switching, so I might end up being screwed out of those purchases if it turns out that you can do multiplayer with a single license, but we will have to see exactly how they implement multiplayer.

An Oculus user who enables App Sharing can log in to multiple devices simultaneously but cannot run the same app with their account on more than one device at a time. Different accounts can run the shared app simultaneously, subject to the device limitation mentioned above. 

I take this passage to mean that a secondary account logged into one of the primary account’s devices can play the same app simultaneously with the primary account on another device. So, guest multiplayer between two devices owned by one primary account. 

NoahGammer
Honored Guest
We just bought a Quest 2 for my son's birthday.  Now my daughter wants one. Will I have to buy the games again for second Quest2? If they are able to share the apps, can they play with each other?  If not, I am NOT buying another one on;y to spend hundreds of $ buying the apps again.