cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asterion Touch Controller Skins Review and Pics

Rob_In_Phoenix
Rising Star
All,
Here's my experience with the Asterion Oculus Touch Skins.  I got mine from Amazon for $20 a few days ago.  They were delivered to me in a bag and had no sign of any duress from shipping.  While I love the Touch Controllers the way they are, they did feel a little slippery from time to time.  There aren't a whole lot of choices for aftermarket controller skins, but the Asterion ones seemed the best based on what I could find online.  For $20, it's not a financial gamble to try them out.

This is not a new product and I've seen some info on the Oculus board about these, but I wanted to publish my overall take as an actual consumer.  These are silicone rubber covers with a textured grip designed to alleviate the slick feel of the Touch handles.  The black color matches appropriately with the controllers and they look nice once they're in place.  I've attached some pictures so you can see how they look before and after installation. 

They're easy to get on, and once installed they feel nice.  It's definitely an improvement over stock.  I didn't notice any binding around the buttons, some attention to detail was given here by Asterion to make sure they fit properly.  Once in place, two flaps at the top fold down and fit over two small nubs to secure them in place.  This part seems fragile to me and will be the weak spot in the design.  I could see after several battery changes these nubs will eventually give out.  I hope to be proven wrong on this.  Even if they did break, my guess is the covers will stay positioned as there's no slack in the way these fit over the controllers.  Only time will tell.

With light use, I've had no shifting of the covers and no interference with the buttons.  However, without multiple trials in a setting like Robo Recall I don't know how well they'll remain in place or if they'll start rubbing against the buttons.

Overall, if you've been on the fence about getting these, I think you can go ahead and do it.  I don't see any glaring faults yet.

Pros:
  • The price is just fine for an accessory like this.  It's $20, no biggie.
  • The rubbery and textured grip works well to improve the feel of the controller.
  • It does give the controllers a bit of a premium feel and look, this is an upgrade.
  • They add a little thickness (1-2 mm) to the controller which may be good for those with big hands.
  • It only takes a couple of minutes to put them on - no worries, it's easy.
  • They fit well around the buttons and haven't shifted on me during light use.
Cons:
  • You will have to remove them to change batteries (no surprise).
  • The little nubs used to secure the flap connectors at the top seem fragile and could break off easily with use.
  • It remains to be seen if they stay in place under heavy duty like Robo Recall or other intense scenario.
Link to Amazon:

I'd love to hear back from other users that have bought these.  Add your experiences to the thread.

Prior to installation:
och24cld6he7.jpg

They look and feel good.  Fit properly around the trigger and don't interfere with movement.
an3ib0qrnxdc.jpg

No problem with binding against the grip button.
tyu5jpxpq82x.jpg

No problem with the fit around the upper control surface.
9gtebazizgll.jpg
0 REPLIES 0