cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Average IPD settings?

Funkman
Explorer
I have a few people who want to try out my Rift.

My IPD setting is 60.4, and both my folks have tried it and didnt complain of anything.

But I tried messing around with the IPD out of curiosity, and found it I move it 10mm either side, I start to feel cross eyed and uncomfortable when using the Rift.

This got me thinking - if a bunch of new people are going to use the Rift, maybe there is an average setting I could make a profile for, and hopefully it will have a good chance of being comfortable for most people.

I really dont want to run every person who uses it through the IPD configuration - its all about first impressions with the Rift, and you want it to be exciting. You dont want their first experience to be 'work like'.

Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5

Disdroid
Honored Guest
Male: 64.7mm
Female: 62.3mm
People tend to believe what they want to be true.

Funkman
Explorer
Thanks, Ill just set it to 63 then that should do it.

Fredz
Explorer
"Funkman" wrote:
I really dont want to run every person who uses it through the IPD configuration [...] You dont want their first experience to be 'work like'.

It doesn't take much time and people will have a better experience if the rendering is suited to their IPD. I've demoed to 15 people and used the IPD config util each time and nobody complained.

Considering the range of IPDs even in this small group (59.2 to 68.3, the lower one was not even a woman), that wouldn't make sense to use average values.

Funkman
Explorer
In my experience, you need to be about 10mm out to start getting uncomfortable..so if you put the value in the middle somewhere, hopefully most people should be ok with it.

Fredz
Explorer
For discomfort that's probably right, but with more than several millimeters everything will be at the wrong scale. For me that totally ruins immersion, but YMMV.